Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, nice forum you all have here!
I had NO idea there was such a folowing for such a little gun!

Anyway, I had just brought my gun home and was eager to take it to the range. When I got there I loaded it up with some Wal-Mart Winchester rounds ($16 some bucks for 100).
When I fire off my first three shots, I get a jam...no big deal, it's a new gun. Unjam it, shoot another round, jams again! WTF?! This continues about every other magazine load!
I'm starting to get a little bent.
This is my concealed carry pistol, so jams are a BAD thing!
After shooting off the whole box (many jams aside) a load up 6 of the expensive self defense hollow points I purchased when I bought the gun, no jams.
I am going to go out tomorrow and try a different brand of ammo.
I have already sanded and polished the chamber and cleaned everything, so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

BUT, if it DOES, what do you all suggest?
Thanks for any and all help!
Clay :D

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well, you didn't specify what sort of jams you were having.
However, remember this pistol is very subject to limpwristing. Even if you've never limpwristed before, you're very, very likely to experience it at least once with the P-3AT
Click here for an article about it and how to avoid it.
More details on your jam types would be helpful!
Flyer

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Go to this page and do some research... http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/index.htm
Note: New Gun Prep.

Stiffen up those wrists, try a few different brands of ammo (no Wolf or American Ammo), try different mags if possible, then get back with the first few digits of your serial #. Be more specific on jams, i.e. failure to feed, failure to extract, when it happens, etc. Flyer and others will have that thing purring in no time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
LockDown, where are you located in CO?

Listen to what everybody else is saying, these guys are the best.

I've had very good results using a Dremmel with a felt "polishing bob". Best way I can describe it is it looks like a bullet shape on the end and is about 1" long. It fits in the chamber and matches the profile of the ramp very well. That with a little polishing compound. Do the entire feedramp and chamber as well.

As for ammo I've had good luck with Sellier and Bellot as well as PMC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in NorthEast Colorado. :D

Sorry I forgot to mention the type of feed problem: It only extracts the spent casing about halfway (if that).

And is it normal for the ejected casings to have a small dent and a small bur sticking out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re:

LockDown said:
And is it normal for the ejected casings to have a small dent and a small bur sticking out?
Don't know about the burr -- maybe a photo...?

But the denting...yes, that's pretty typical. Most of my casing show some sort of very slight warping or denting of the open case end; very few still have that perfect round appearance. But, again, it's very, very slight -- anything more substantial (on a regular basis) couild be a cause for concern.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
It's pretty normal for the extractor to gouge the case rim, a bit... a small burr would likely result.
A polished chamber should have taken care of the failures to extract... it's sounding more than ever like limpwristing.
Flyer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, just got back from firing it again, put about 75 rounds through it and it only misfed ONCE! :p

MUCH better than last time!

I sanded and polished the chamber and also used some different ammo. Oh, and I paid more attention to how I was holding the gun and used some targets I printed up. One of em is pretty cool, it tells you what you may be doing wrong by where the bullets hit....check it out, it's at the bottom of the page AND has a target for South Paws as well.

http://www.ammoman.com/targets/targets1.htm

Thanks again for all your help guys! I'll be browsing around elsewhere is this forum more often. I hope to learn alot about my new concealed carry choice.
Clay

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Good news! Probably breaking in, huh? A mag finger extension (KT plus-1, Bersa or NAA) may help with the control issue. The Houge handall Jr or A-Grip can help with your grip as well. Be safe & enjoy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All good advice but what was not mentioned is the need to keep your gun well lubed - specifically grease those slide rails. Very important on all small autos. There's a lot of good stuff out there - Gunsilk, Wilson's grease, ShootersChoice, etc. You want this stuff on your rails. A good synthetic oil like FP10 is good on other parts of the gun but on the rails, use gun grease and apply it liberally until things get broken-in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What kind of Winchester ammo??

My P-3AT did NOT like Winchester 95 gr "Winclean" flat nose ammo. Switched to UMC 95 gr FMJ and have not experienced a single malfunction since.

These small guns are not like the full-sized service automatics that will eat just about anything. These little guys may prefer one particular type of ammo over another.

Find one your P-3AT will function perfectly on and stick with that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have had zero problems with UMC's FMJ and CorBon +P JHP.

Each gun has it's special appetites it seems.

My Glock did not like Winchester White box but no problems with UMC's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have had zero problems with UMC's FMJ and CorBon +P JHP.

Each gun has it's special appetites it seems.

My Glock did not like Winchester White box but no problems with UMC's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts