Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm 17 and looking into getting a rifle. Was thinking about building my own AR but that would cost upwards of $550. Been looking around, and finally I saw someone mention the SU 16. I just assumed it was another AR clone, until I did a search for it.

I love it! It's like a swiss army gun. Folds in half, stock holds magazines, which, of course, are plentiful and cheap AR magazines, and has a built in bipod while maintaining a weight of 5 lbs. Now I need one!

How mechanically similar is the Kel Tec to the AR? I have heard that it uses an AR action with some AK features in there...and I have also heard that it shoots fairly clean. I am, however, wary, since ARs have a tendency to be a bit unreliable if they don't get their cleanings. Are these reliability issues present in the SU 16?

Any other advice would be nice...thanks!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Here's my review of the SU shortly after it came out:
SU-16 Review
There are a few features shared with the AR, such as the rotating bolt and bolt carrier... but the rifle is rod operated unlike the AR.
It is very accurate and reliable... a very good rifle.
By the way, I consider the AR-15 THE most reliable combat rifle in existence. Most people who do the "unreliable!" dance are those who REALLY want one but can't afford 'em... so they rationalize it away by convincing themselves they're undesirable anyway.
Don't fall for it. It's a lie.
Flyer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, I have talked to many people who rarely clean their ARs and they work just fine, its just that the AR has some problems in heavy fouling/dirt/sand, but not significantly more than any other rifle. I wouldn't consider buying (building, whatever!) an AR unless it was battle reliable.

Of course, its no AK... :D just kidding.

Excellent review! I have heard Kel Tec is developing new versions, specifically one with an AR type front sight attached to the end of the handguard. I also hear they will offer the folding stock as an option rather than standard. Well, its 8 months till my 18th anyway so I'm not in much of a hurry...I doubt my parents would let me buy one (mom=doctor, you know how they are), so I'll have to wait.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Lets see back in my day I was given my first rifle at 14. My first big bore at 18 and my first Handgun at 19. Now you must have a letter from the child's parents or Guardian to let them go shooting with you. One range I saw even made a Dad sign a letter and have the child hold it even though he was shooting with said child. :evil:

Back on topic (sorry for the rant) the SU-16 is a good choice for first rifle. Durable, forgiving in handling (not like a 2000 engraved Lever action) and comes with the best warranty in the business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts