Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having problems with FTE's, so I called Kel-tec and the sent me a new extractor, spring (which was quite a bit longer)and pin. I installed it and went to fire 50 rounds today, and I had 5 FTE's.

This is the same percentage, 10%, that would FTE as before the new extractor. All my casings are kind of warped on one side, almost flattened and the rim on that side is bent in a little. I have not performed the fluff and buff, as I don't want to screw anything up. Any suggestions?

should I perform the f&b? or should I send it to kel-tec? If i send it in, what will they most likely do?

Thanks for the help.

Lee

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'd go ahead with the F&B, being especially careful when polishing the chamber... get it as smooth as possible.
Also, remember to keep your wrists locked... limpwristing is the #1 cause if FTEs, and almost everyone does it at one time or another!
flyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i really think i have a firm grip on the gun when this happens. it's not like it happens at the end of every mag, it's pretty random. but i'll work on my grip also and perform the f&b and see if that helps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Flinching can cause an FTE with a P-3AT even if your grip if pretty firm. I know, I've done it a few times when deer rifles were going off in a small indoor range where I was shooting. I started waiting for the "BOOM" of the deer rifles and was flinching when I shot in anticipation. Flinching isn't uncommon, particularly when you don't shoot too much or something causes you to lose your concentration, like a loud boom.

·
Registered
42 Posts
UA2k1GT said:
should I perform the f&b? or should I send it to kel-tec? If i send it in, what will they most likely do?
Do the F&B if you feel comfortable doing so. I sent mine back to KT and they fixed it - they restamped the same serial number on a new gun. ALL my problems disappeared.

BTW, The P-3AT is the most finicky gun I own. Be patient.

Were you using the same type of ammo the entire time?

ppmd

·
Registered
1 Posts
UA2k1GT said:
...Kel-tec and the sent me a new extractor, spring (which was quite a bit longer)...
I had the same thought as you about the spring being longer when they sent me the new one. Thinking this may be an "updated" spring KT was sending out to fix FTE's. However, after installing it and then removing it appears to be the same length as the old one now. Very stout short springs such as these tend to exhibit a lot of "memory" once in use.

I have modified the claw of an extractor with a lowered offset arc where it contacts the case rim, but have not been to the range to test if it actually hangs on to cases better. Will post if it works (or go back to the workshop if it doesn't).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Lee,

Sorry to hear about your problems. Everything I hear about the P3AT is that it is finicky with the ammo. I've tried about 5 different types including reloads (ugh!). The only ammo that I've been 100% successful with is Fiocchi (spelling). I have only been able to buy it at one store within a 50 miles radius, but I've now found it on www.sportsmansguide.com. The ammo is made in Italy and burns very hot. They say the P3AT likes really hot ammo since the barrell is so short (hey, that sounded kind of technical coming from me). I've decided that this is the only shooting ammo I'm using other then the starfire hollow points that have also been successful with in "my little friend". I hope things get better for ya.

Katy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts