1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
You'll only want another....Then another....Then another ..... :love2:

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Ah, yes. BRF... or Black Rifle Fever, a widely documented disease. There are a lot of options. A lot depends on your intended purpose. For a defensive weapon, I'd go with a standard 20" A2 or a 16" M4... try to find an M4 without a muzzle brake... they don't do much and your ears will thank you. If you want to hunt coyotes, prairie dogs or that sort of thing... maybe go with one of the Varmint types or a flat top A3 for scope mounting... The Varmint variety typically don't have front sights and are designed to be used exclusively with scopes.

I like Bushmasters... they are the closest you can get to mil-spec weapons.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Midiman:
I have not had something like the AR15 in my hands since 1969. I'd like something like that M-16 I had. Would the Bushmaster be close because it is closest to Mil-Spec? What Bushmaster model would you suggest and what can I expect to pay? I want it for home defense purposes. What do you think of the .308 versions?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
You'll have a hard time finding a 69 era, M-16 looking AR... the handguards are rounded rather than the triangles you are familiar with... there's a forward assist which the early M-16s didn't have... but, yes... the Bushmasters are the closest to military you can get in term of materials and tolerances.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
You've asked me what I think and I've told you. The Colts aren't bad guns... but they, in many cases, use non-standard sized take down and trigger pins, they are sometimes "blocked" in the trgger area in an attempt to prevent you from converting to FA... but it also prevents you from doing a lot of LEGAL trigger work as well... or at least makes it more difficult.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Midiman. I'll stick with the Bushmasters. The more I read the more confused I become. What do you think of this one?:
Bushmaster AR15 16" A3 Flat Top Carbine "special feature of this powerful, lightweight Shorty carbine model is the "Flat-top" (A3) type Upper Receiver which makes possible the attachment of a variety of sights, scopes or night vision optics - adding to the versatility of this carbine.
Ribbed Shorty handguards keep weight down to a minimum, as do the thermoset polymer composite handguards, pistol grip and stock. The heavy profile barrel, with chrome line bore and chamber, is rifled 1 turn in 9" for accuracy with the widest variety of ammunition, and externally manganese phosphate finished for complete protection against rust and corrosion.
Forged, lightweight 7075T6 aircraft aluminum receivers have all M16A2 design improvements including cartridge case deflector, last round bolt hold-open and raised ridges for magazine release button protection.
The XM15 E2S Shorty A3 Carbine is shipped complete with 10 round magazine, operation, safety and instruction manual and carrying sling."

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Don't forget that going from a 20 in. barrel to a 16 is going to have a great effect on the practical accuracy and useful range of your rifle.
It'll be easier to handle, yes... but you really DO need that extra barrel length for truly good stopping power at any decent distance.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Midiman said:
I like Bushmasters... they are the closest you can get to mil-spec weapons.

I would like opinions on the Olympic arms PlinkerPlus. I think I made a stupid move today. :oops: I bought an Oly with Flash Suppresser, Bayo lug, 30 rounds mag, Hard Case, Sling, and Oly Arms sticker new in the box for $579 before tax. The gun has a Lifetime warranty. The barrel is 16 inch I believe. Did I screw up guys? To fund this gun I had to place it on a Card, with the SU-16 more than likely to be sold for the revenue. Should I have just stayed with the SU or is this a good buy?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hey, it's an AR, and that price was great.
You'cn put on a telescoping stock and have an M-4! Even without a chrome bore (or milled receiver), it's still an AR, which is a step up from practically anything else. 8)
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
How do you tell if it is a milled or cast. The paper work from the GS says Forged. Forged = cast?? But Flyer if you think it was a great price maybe I am doin ok. Does this mean I can join the AR-15 guys club or am I still SOL? :D

I like the Lifetime warranty. I hope I don't need it.

Last thing is thier web site says "CHROMEMOLY BARRELS
If the only barrel stamping is "5.56", then the barrel is made of 4140 chromemoly steel. Chromemoly is a type steel that incorporates chrome right into the barrel metal itself. This barrel material is corrosion resistant, but not as much so as a stainless material. Using the 4140 chromemoly material allows us to give the consumer a barrel with similar benefits of a chrome lined barrel, but maintain consistencies in the bore that allow for superior accuracy. Our studies have shown that without a doubt chrome lining of any barrel will deplete it's accuracy
"

Are they full of it? Mine just has the 5.56 on it BTW.

Flyer do you think this is a better rifle than the SU?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Okay, visited their website for awhile...
Yep, it's a forged receiver... that's what the "Plus" stands for. Forged receivers are milled, so you're good to go, there.
Your barrel will behave just like your SU's barrel - just break it in properly and you're in business.
Is it a better rifle? Well, that depends! It's a different rifle.
The SU is great because it's superlight, folds to a compact size, is reliable, and accurate enough to make a great HDR (Homeland Defense Rifle). You can take it places you can't take an AR. It's usually much less expensive, and takes AR mags.
The AR, on the other hand, I believe to be the best military rifle ever designed. Lots of folks badmouth the AR, but I've come to the conclusion they only do so because they're embarrased that their M1-A1, H&K, or whatever other military rifle they possess is out-performed by the AR.
The AR-15 may very well be the single most reliable personal firearm ever designed. Add near-match accuracy and unbelievable durability to that and you can't go wrong.
If it came down to the question "Which rifle do I grab" when the looting starts and bullets go whizzing by it's a no-brainer - the AR. It can take the pounding the SU can't.
I've owned civilian versions of darned near every military rifle offered to the public, and the AR has beaten them ALL out, including such guns as the Steyr AUG and Israeli Galil. I still LIKE my other "black" guns....
But when the SHTF, it's my AR I'm grabbing.
Flyer

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh,no! Now Gun_Nut_2k1 is gonna have to join another board! http://www.oa2.org/ Thats the best price I've seen on the plinker. It's like $699 for the older one with the cast lower here. Have fun shooting! [/code]

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

G33InMyPocket said:
Oh,no! Now Gun_Nut_2k1 is gonna have to join another board! http://www.oa2.org/ Thats the best price I've seen on the plinker. It's like $699 for the older one with the cast lower here. Have fun shooting! [/code]
Flyer anything specific I should get outta the gate for the AR? Wedges, mounts, forearms?? Sure are a lot of accessories for this dang thing! I'm going to scope it of course. :twisted:

Thanks for the replies guys. The regular price was $599, but I know the salesman. He gave me a $20 discount. This rifle was on $79 more than my SU. I may end up keeping both :D Not sure yet. I don't like how the Bayo mounts on the AR tho. It rattles a lot.

Oh and BTW G33inmypocket thanks for the link! I was this close to picking up a new full size 10mm glock with high caps for $550. ya I know me with a Glock! They also have a used P-11 for $200 in good shape. May have to get that one too. Damn I hate credit cards.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Magazines!!!
And right now the very best AR mags EVER made are on sale for $16.99, new Labelle teflon-coated USGI 30-rounders in the bag!
This is an EXCELLENT price. I've got several more on the way to me, right now! 8)
Magazines
Flyer

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re:

[quote="Gun_Nut_2k1/]Oh and BTW G33inmypocket thanks for the link! .[/quote]
Members of that board get a 10% discount from Olympic Armson accessories.. In order to get the lifetime warrantee you have to read up on their ammo requirements. They're kinda picky.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts