Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my new P3AT in late October of last year . It arrived at my dealer this January. Fortunately my dealer ordered two so I got to take my pick. I chose the one with the smoothest operating slide. There was a noticeable difference between the two pistols.

The first problem occurred while field striping the pistol for the "fluff and buff." The slide was almost impossible to remove from the frame. Thanks to having faithfully read the two Kel Tec websites for several months, I remembered a post that said to push down hard on the barrel hood through the ejection port while pulling forward with GREAT
strength.

By applying the afore mentioned great strength I managed to remove the slide. I quickly located the cause of the problem The ejector was too tall and was gouging the frame. A little work with the needle files, wet/dry sandpaper, and a very fine Arkansas oil stone fixed this problem.

After the fluff and buff I fired two rounds and checked for "smilies" and frame wear. Sure enough there was a smilie looking back at me. I decided to continue firing and fix that problem later.

One more round and the trigger ceased functioning. The only resistance to the trigger pull was the trigger spring. The hammer was full forward. I field stripped the pistol for a detailed inspection and found the hammer block spring was not engaged in the hammer block. The spring had a funny twist to it which set the spring up to come out
of the hammer block. I removed the parts and straightened the spring. I also performed a rampectomy while I had things apart. I then fired 90 more rounds of S&B without one single problem.

I used every grip combination I could think of, one handed, both hands, weak hand, "limp wrist" (very limp, as loose as I could hold it without loosing control of the weapon). I tried every thing except some of the more creative "Holly wood" style shooting positions. It shot great with absolutely no malfunctions.

There is very little wear inside the action. A couple of minor bright spots where the barrel contacted the inside of the frame and a very small amount of front slide rail contact. Nothing significant.

No assembly pin problem yet, but I will grove and slot the assembly pin as soon as I get a spare one from the factory. Also of course I will order a new hammer block and spring along with numerous other spare parts and three new magazines.

Keep shooting,

:)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Marvelous!!

grb-
You are a true patriot. Great courage and expertise to do the gunsmithing on your P3AT the way you did.
Welcome to KTR and hoping to read many more of your posts.
og...........(an old dog always ready to learn new tricks) :)

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Well... your wait wasn't anywhere near the nighmare I went through but I still feel your pain. You ran into a couple more difficulties than I did... I had no problem with my slide removal at all... everything functioned perfectly except for that pesky smiley problem.

I'm currently on my 3rd ramp mod and have been hampered from testing it due to almost 2 weeks of -10 to -40 degree temperatures... Saturday it might get to be a balmy 14 above... sounds like range weather to me! Good luck with your ramp mod... take a look at some of the pictures here and go ahead and be radical about it. I chose to err on the safe side and it only cost me 3 times as much work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Range weather

Since I live right in the middle of my farm, my range firing line is about 5 feet outside my back door. I can easily shoot in cold weather. I've even been known to leave a weapon outside for a few hours to "cold soak" it when the weather is below zero. I then just step outside, pick it up and fire a few rounds. You can learn a lot about lubricants that way.

Keep shooting :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts