Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently had to send my Taurus PT-738 back to the factory because of several failure issues. I really like the gun, but finally got fed up with the problems. So, I was bummed that I would be without a mouse-gun for several weeks. I happened to be in Gander Mountain and noticed a Kel-Tec P-3AT in their used cabinet for an extremely reasonable price. I jumped on it knowing that when my Taurus comes back, it would be an easy enough gun to sell.

I took it shooting today, and to my shock, had a FTE every single round. I tried three different typed of ammunition, so I knew it was the gun. I left the range a bit disappointed, but the gun included a one-year protection plan from Gander Mountain.

I got it home and cycled some rounds through it manually to find out that it was the magazine that was causing the problem. The next round was jumping up early and blocking the spent casing from being ejected. I experienced a FTE every time, however, when I removed the magazine, the round would eject without a problem. :(

I ended up carefully reshaping the lips of the magazine, so that the round would not pop up and prevent proper extraction. I cleaned the gun up, loaded the magazine, and cycled the rounds through by pulling the slide back (all safety procedures were followed). To my surprise, not only did the rounds cycle and eject properly, the ejected rounds were landing about five feet away from where I was standing. This gun is a power-ejector!!! :D

I ordered a replacement magazine and a few other spare parts from Kel-Tec. I have not tested this on the range yet, but from my off-range testing and before and after comparison, I would say that it is fixed. I’m not going to carry or trust it until I get the replacement magazine.

If you have a Kel-Tec P-3AT, and are experiencing frequent FTEs, instead of focusing on the extractor like most do on the Kel-Tec forums, look at your magazine lips and make sure they are not allowing the round to block extraction/ejection.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Cool! Post some pictures when you get a chance. This is the first I have heard of this kind of issue created by a magazine. Admittedly, I may be spoiled by my P-3AT's that have been effectively flawless for many thousands of rounds. Welcome to the forum! You have the right spirit for the KTRange, that's for sure. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 3AT is not having this issue, but my NIB PF9 sure the heck is. Been very disappointed in pf9 - this after 600+ rounds through it, 100 at a time per range session. Think I'll buy new mag and see.... cw

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 3AT is not having this issue, but my NIB PF9 sure the heck is. Been very disappointed in pf9 - this after 600+ rounds through it, 100 at a time per range session. Think I'll buy new mag and see.... cw
Why not just send it in and let them fix it for you?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Why not just send it in and let them fix it for you?
I was talking with a fellow Kel-Tec enthusiast at the Pima Pistol Club yesterday. He is proud of his good running PF-9 but mentioned that it took 7 weeks for Kel-Tec to do whatever it needed and get it back to him. He has several pistols, so that's not a problem. For some Kel-Tec owners with fewer spares, that could be a long wait. :(

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was talking with a fellow Kel-Tec enthusiast at the Pima Pistol Club yesterday. He is proud of his good running PF-9 but mentioned that it took 7 weeks for Kel-Tec to do whatever it needed and get it back to him. He has several pistols, so that's not a problem. For some Kel-Tec owners with fewer spares, that could be a long wait. :(
I can understand this statement and completely agree. However he says he has a P3AT that runs fine and would make a fine BUG to rely on till the PF-9 was returned. If I had to send mine in and wait that long , I would miss it but I also have a couple guns that would work fine for a fill in. 1) Kimber tactical ultra .45ACP 2) Taurus 85 SS .38 sp. My PF-9 is my everyday carry around the house gun though because of the light weight. Good luck with getting your PF-9 up and running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have a Kel-Tec P-3AT, and are experiencing frequent FTEs, instead of focusing on the extractor like most do on the Kel-Tec forums, look at your magazine lips and make sure they are not allowing the round to block extraction/ejection.
My dad suggested this exact fix to me when we were at the range this past wednesday. I had MULTIPLE FTE's mag after mag. Unfortunately the weapon failed before we got a chance to do some R&D. Without actually tring it myself you are right as we kept lubing and wiggling the extractor which only worked for the VERY short term.

BTW This thread needs some pics bro!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had similar problem with my wife's PF9. Different magazine worked fine. The one that came with it, not so much. So a slight mod to the original magazine and it is working like a charm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So what are you guys doing to the magazine lips, slightly bending them inwards to keep the bullet seated a bit lower in the mag ?

Pickin up my P3AT wednesday. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Feed problems

My dad suggested this exact fix to me when we were at the range this past wednesday. I had MULTIPLE FTE's mag after mag. Unfortunately the weapon failed before we got a chance to do some R&D. Without actually tring it myself you are right as we kept lubing and wiggling the extractor which only worked for the VERY short term.

BTW This thread needs some pics bro!
I don't know what it is about this little gun but I can't put it down. As new, I had the failure to chamber issue. I increased the distance between the extractor and the bolt face and rounded some corners. I reload my 380. I found that if I decreased the bullet AOL to about .950 and with the extractor work the bullets chamber with one crisp snap not the snap, snap I had at the beginning. Now I have a gun that runs almost 100%. Occasionally I get a failure to eject. It could be my alterations or maybe my reloads. I notice that the rims get banged up every time so that might be part of the problem. If your gun fails to chamber listen for the snap, snap. That means the rim of the case is getting jammed under the factory extractor when the nose of the bullet strikes the feed ramp. Have fun with your 3AT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts