Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of my new Dan Wesson PMDP (Pointman Dave Pruitt). This is serial number DP00024X of an original run of 500 guns. These are named after Dave Pruitt, an IDPA Grand Master and gunsmith who collaborated on the project.

This gun is beautiful (pardon the poor picture) and loaded with practical features -- ramped stainless match barrel, novak style sights, bobtail safety, skeletonized hammer, chevron shaped slide serations, etc. A very sweet trigger.

This was the first Dan Wesson 1911 I ever saw, but I have looked at a bunch since. Guys in the know think DW is positioned to take a very strong run at the 1911 market.

We had some 1911 discussions going on here, so I thought I would encourage everyone to give DW some thought.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Okay, I'll play...
Here's my favorite 1911, a Les Baer. Below is a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec, and finally a P-3AT thrown in for good measure!

Flyer

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dealer said that Chip McCormick is doing some work for Dan Wesson since his departure from Kimber. I dunno. But the trigger on the DW I looked at a while back was sweet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just looked the Dan Wesson 1911's this afternoon and was stunned... If I had seen them before I bought my Kimber, I would've bought a DW instead.
I had been planning on buying a Springfield Mil-spec stainless this week, but I've changed my mind. I'm going to buy a DW.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple of different dealers have commented that DW is going to give Kimber a run for their money...

They seem to be making a great product at a good price point.

The Patriot series of 1911s has an accuracy guarantee of less than 1" I believe -- and comes with the test target.

I will say that the packaging is unsophisticated -- a plastic suitcase with egg-crate foam and the manuals are staped together 8.5 x 11 sheets. But -- its all there and it comes with a lifetime repair policy too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brief range report. Fired 80 rounds through my new DW with my new Chip McCormick power mags. No problems at all with Win White Box FMJ.

This gun shoots very nice, is very accurate, and the fixed sights are dead-on for a 6:00 hold.

·
Registered
61 Posts
DDGATOR,

How much did the PMDP set you back? I've been shopping for one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dom,

The one I purchased was used but unfired with everything. I traded a gun, but the marked price was $550. The same shop has a NEW PMDP for $650.

Duane

·
Registered
224 Posts
I saw a PMDP yesterday for $525...it was being used a a rental gun at the range.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went to the local shop to buy a DW PM7-S for $549, but wound up leaving with a used Colt Combat Elite for $500 instead. :? It was too good of a deal to pass up...

I'm still going to buy a DW, though. I've got 3 1911's right now (Kimber and 2 Colts) and have my sights set on at least 2 more before next summer. At least one will be a DW, the other I'm not sure about...maybe a Rock Island Armory to use as the base for a custom gun...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts