Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my su to the range, fired about 60 rounds, had a couple of fte, but not bad, I think I'm having problems with the kt mags, but not a bid deal. however
my last round fired, but the bold assembly is not releasing from the barrel chamber? I can pull the bolt handl about a 1/4" but it does not appear the bolt head is moving at all?
any and all ideas are greatly appreciated, more than I can explain.

thx
Gary

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Take a look at the upper left side of your receiver, where the bolt cam pin emerges... is it in the right place? Is it turned properly in it's slot?
Apparently you're not getting bolt rotation... this could be a case stuck in your chamber.
Check that out first... and also, what ammo were you using?
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
help

I can't see the bolt cam pin, the bolt is stuck forward, I can't see the top ot the bolt assembly at all
I was using wolf ammo, I have put about 300 rounds of wolf through this gun w/only a ftf issues.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Cam pin emerges right through the side of the receiver wall, right behind the chamber area. It's the part that locks the bolt and the bolt carrier together, and that the firing pin goes through. If it's properly in place, you should be able to see it from outside the rifle, as a rectangular shaped piece of steel in the slot.
Not there?
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, little flustered.
on the left hand side of the gun, there is a rectangular cutout, I can see the top of the cam pin, and a little of the collum of the cam pin is that good or bad?
I used a cleaning rod to determing that ther is NO bullet in the gun,
any idea's of how to fix this?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Ok,
That means your bolt STARTED to unlock, but stopped in the process.
It's a pretty good bet you've got a case stuck in the chamber.
This may be preventing the bolt from rotating enough to unlock completely, or the extractor may have become stuck between the case rim and bore... which pretty much amounts to the same thing.
So, if you've assured yourself it's NOT a live round in the chamber, I'd take it down as far as I could. See at what point in the disassembly it won't let you go any further... then maybe you'll know a little more about the specific nature of the problem.
I wish I could reach right through the screen and see myself... aarrgh!
Taking it down seems the best option for now, though.
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
take down

I can't take it down at all. the bolt handle only move's 1/4" or so, I can release the gas tube, but if the bolt head is turned to lock it, it's not going to go anywhere? is it?

I'm thinking this is going to have to be sent back to KT?

I wish you could come through the computer too, believe me

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
You may be right... it might have to take a trip to Cocoa...
Then again, Marty (Bloodwalker) will likely see this thread later... since he's their head gunsmith, if it can be handled without the trip, he'll know how to do it!
Flyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
That happens, pretty easy to fix.

Make sure the cartridge has been fired. Put butt of gun on ground, hold barrel and use boot to "kick" operating handle down.

Or, place butt against hip and press operating handle against table or shooting bench. You may need to bump it a couple times.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hold up!
This isn't an AR-15.
The very same procedure is the FIRST thing that crossed my mind...
But the AR doesn't have the added weight of an operating rod to deal with against the bolt carrier, and sure doesn't have the recoil buffer to absorb shock.
Finally, while very sturdy, the SU ISN'T a combat rifle, and I'd hesitate to recommend subjecting it to this treatment.
Flyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, poorly written. You don't need to beat on it to break the bolt free, just need a little more leverage. Push with boot or press against a bench. Worked for me. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not an ar

while the logic sounds good, midi makes a solid point.
I feel the KT is a solid gun, but, I'm 200+ and don't know my own strength,
before I try a good whack @ it, any one else have concerns, comments, ideas? anything????
I tride to give it a good whack w/ a cleaning rod down the barrel, but all that did was bend the cleaning rod, I can handle a couple of bucks down the drain, but not what I have invested in this

any other ideas before I try this??

thx
Gary

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wish i had a way to help ya, sadly all I have is a question.

What type of Ammo were you using?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey GaryZ, in an earlier post you said you were using Wolf ammo. Was it the Steel Case with Lacquer coating. If so I've read about rounds getting jammed in the breach on the melted lacquer. Here's one possible solution though, try a small drop of lacquer thinner or acetone down the barrel. Before I do that try a small drop somewhere on the plastic to make sure it won't be a problem. hopefully it helps. If it does make sure and clean and lube the barrel and receiver, you may want to try and brush out the breach with acetone as well to remove the remaining lacquer.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, that's one idea... but be sure and check the plastic parts first, to make sure they don't turn into goo!
Oh yeah... using a cleaning rod and pounding it won't work. The bolt's locked... all you'll do is bend the rod, damage your bore or maybe your bolt.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Would not a brass punch and judicious use of a light mallet on the cam pin from the square hole work Flyer? If the extractor brakes then KT will replace it. I mean just to nudge the pin so the bolt rotates and unlocks? I would refrain from the mallet/foot on Charge handle as well.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, you read my mind.
It seems as if a little force applied to the cam pin shouldn't hurt things, as long as it was fairly gentle, like you described.
The cam pin is fully turned when locked, and since it's semi-unlocked, it's possible a small brass or wooden punch could further turn it, completely unlocking the breech.
Careful not to use too much force if you try this, though, and triple check to make sure that case is empty!
Sorry about bringing that up again, but when it comes to working on guns I'm a safety fanatic. :roll:
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thx

thanks guys
I'll try the lacquer thinner, is this a dab will do ya, or do I need to put a real amt down the barrel?
I figure I can use a funnel, and stuff a rag into the mag area to catch the runoff, if any

thx again

·
Registered
29 Posts
hold on! did you check to see if the thinner would damage the plastic? If it does't, I wouldn't use more than necessary, maybe just a capful or even less. Try and let it soak and then try to push out the case. Hope it works, have you called KT to see what they suggest?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kt

I've been working so much again, I haven't had time to try anything yet. I emailed Kt the day this happened, but still have not heard back from them.
I think I'll try the lacquer thinner on the plastic to see if it eats it, if not, I'll try some down the barrel, and w/ a brush, see if that does anything, as soon as I can get to wally world for the thinner, I'll let you know how I make out

thx for all the info and Ideas, I appreciate all the kt'er's help and insight

thx
garyz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts