Kel-Tec Forum banner

My 3 guns S&W 686+, G26, P3at

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  diamondmike 
#1 ·
I had the G26 first, then I got the P3at because I didn't really
carry the Glock very often. I wanted one "real" gun so I selected the S&W 686+, 4inch, 357 mangum 7 shot, for car and home, and maybe special occasions.

My accuracy with the S&W is better than the Glock, maybe because of the longer barrel.

I think that 7 rounds of 357 magnum with no chance of jamming, as in the automatics, is worth having 7 rounds instead of 11. Cops may want the automatics because they get 16 rounds, but we don't.

I had asked here previously for opinions on the S&W airlites.
After checking around I am convinced that the trade off between light weight and being able to get quick follow up shots, with full power ammo, favors the quick follow up shots.

#2 ·
Smith 686

Travistee,

I own a first generation 6 shot, they had trouble with the cylinder rotating after about 12 rounds was fired, I sent mine back to S&W and they said they had this problem with a lot of them and they fixed it free by grinding a little off of the forcing cone.
But you are probably Ok if you have one of the newer 7 shots.

#4 ·
CORRECTION

CORRECTION

Travistee and
Gun Nut 2k1

Scratch what I said about the 686 I have the 66 dont know what made me think 86, anyway Gun Nut 2k1 if you have put a couple thousand rounds through you gun you dont need to worry if it is the 66 or 86.

Now for anyone that has the 66-1 serial no. 47k**** thatis the gun that had problems!, if I knew what they was going to do to fix the gun I could have done it myself!.
What happened was they fit the cylinder to close to the forcing cone and just a slight build up of residue would cause the cylinder from rotating, I first thought that something was bent causing it to bind.
All they did was ground down the forcing cone slightly.

#6 ·
model 66

Travistee,

My 66 has a 6 inch barrel and I have not fired anything but 357 mags through it, I dont know how many rounds but I am sure it is over 1000, the only problem I see wrong is that it has the S&W factory wood target grips on it and they are just a little loose.
Other than that the gun still it tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.