Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been in touch with a guy on another forum who received a Cobra 9mm pistol (the ones that look, feel, and *are* very, very similar to the P11). He had problems with it initially (3 stovepipes in the first 100 rounds) and was (legitimately) worried about using it for CCW. I pointed him here and told him he should try a good F&B job on the pistol before he gave up on it (because he was asking about what to trade it off for). I'm proud to report that he took my advice and did a 2-hour long F&B on the little Cobra, and he now reports back that it functions flawlessly. He went for 200 rounds with *no* problems of any kind whatsoever after the F&B. The fact that it worked so well (other than simple mechanics, of course) just seems like more proof that Cobra's design came from George Kelgren originally.

· Registered
68 Posts
The Cobra Patriot .45's a knock-off, too!

The Cobra Patriot .45 is a knock-off of a gun originally designed and sponsored by renown arms designer, Nemeiah Sirkis.

The original SD-9 was manufactured in Israel and sold under the Sirkis or Sardius brand names. It was manufactured in 9mm.

Intratec licensed the designed and manufactured the CAT-9, CAT-380 and the CAT-45.

The (Republic Arms) Cobra Patriot .45
is a copy of the CAT-45, but does not have the refinement, finish nor the quality of the CAT-45. I have both and I much prefer the CAT-45.

Regards,
Kahrpacker

· Banned
5,800 Posts
From what I've researched, Nemeiah Sirkis designed the orginal pistol to be made of stamped steel parts and plastic grips.
He also designed the Patriot .45... apparently the Patriot is NOT a copy of the Sirkis; their trigger mechanisms and other functions are completely different.
The original Sirkis was considered to be a more sophisticated version of the "Liberator" .45 dropped by the thousands in WW2 behind enemy lines.
The Patriot, by all accounts, is a much more refined design. I don't own one, but I've seen them. One thing is obvious from the pictures; the trigger mechanism is obviously not the same. The Patriot uses a pivoting trigger like the P-11, whereas the Sirkis uses a straight-pull mechanism resembling a 1911 trigger.
I'll try doing a little more research... but I sincerely doubt the pistols are that closely related.
Flyer

· Registered
2 Posts
Cobra now a high-quality Talon...

...using much better parts, especially in the slide area. My wife bought a Talon .380 for about $125 or so and I got two junkbox specials, a .380 & a 9mm, for $50 each for parts guns when I found out they were going out of business. THEN I found Keltec's P11 & found one in excellent condition with an extra mag, inthe original box & all paperwork for $165! I immediately found the talon & Keltec P11 to be VERY similar, especially after my wife had to send her Talon back for the trigger spring's malfunctioning. I just bought a couple of new springs & trigger bars from Keltec & replaced them in her Talon and no more problems! The Talon's trigger bar did not have the slot cut in it foe the spring. I don't know about the Cobra, however, but after talking to Doug Skillman almost two years ago, he assured be "things" have been muchly improved.

Needless to say, after a F&B on all the Talons, they have worked flawlessly..so well, in fact, that a fellow THREW cash at me for the 9mm model! I accomodated him & he's been happy for the last 1-1/2 year!

I'd have to look back at my notes, but yes, numerous parts interchange....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.