Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading about how to correct smileys by mod. feed ramp!. I was thinking!! if you cut into the ramp does it not leave a possibility that a round could slide forward a little out of the magizine and get hungup where you filed??
I have called Kel-Tec and they said dont even worry about smileys.

I was also just thinking that if you use like Hydroshok the tip is flat making it shorter then a round nose and might not even get hit by the ramp!. I have put 60 rounds through mine no proplems, no way do I feel that I need to shoot more to feel the gun is reliable.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The ramp mod is not going to affect the performance of the pistol in any way, other than preventing smilies! The modified area is well below the actual portion of the ramp the round first meets when fed from the magazine.
The main concern about smilies is that they may affect the accuracy of your rounds, particularly hollowpoints (and yes, hollowpoints are ALL capable of being affected).
Also, a deep smiley in a hollowpoint may prevent it from expanding properly.
It's true, though, that the smiley problem is being blown WAY, WAY out of proportion, on another well-known Kel-Tec site.
So... the ramp mod really has nothing at all to do with reliability of the pistol, but rather the performance of it's ammunition.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information reguarding feed ranp

I must say this little 380 is my true love! I have been buying pistols and trading them for the past 27 years, I have owned at least two of everything that would fit in a pocket or under a shirt, smiths, colts, charter arms, the list is endless. For what ever reason I went to the gun store (just looking of course) and just happened to ask to see this little gun!, the next thing I knew I was filling out paper work with the old lady screaming "what do I get since you bought yourself something", my reply was " one hundred dollars" this shut her up. I then went to the range and put 60 rounds through it and had no problems what so ever!, the hammer hits a little light on the primers but they go off!, Kel-tec is sending me a new hammer spring for this problem though, they are a very very good company. I have just ordered a belt clip and extra magizine. I dont know how easy the draw will be with the clip but it sounds like a better deal then a holster, this way the gun is always ready!, I mean say for example, I decide to take out the trash and I see a shady looking dude walking around! all I have to do is just slip it in my pants, do not have to get out the holster and fumble around snaping things etc. Sounds good to me!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mike,

I like pocket holsters for my mousers, and specifically form fitting Kydex ones. They protect the trigger, and they instantly release the gun ONLY if you flick them off with a finger or thumb. The guns ALWAYS stay in their holsters.

Even the best leather holsters are a bit "clingy" depending on temperature, humidity, etc. I "roll my own" because I haven't been able to find anybody selling them in the thin minimalist style I like, but I sure don't know why not! They're very easy to make, virtually indestructible, and the materials are cheap as well.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Smileys OK with FMJ, not with JHP

Mike,
Flyer is right, main concern with smileys is what it does to JHP hollowpoint ammo. The smiley pushes the "petals" on the tip of the hollowpoint inward. This may affect expansion when and if you ever need it.
Check the stuff on our Smiley Philosophy thread above. So far, I have cut my feed ramp 3 times (just a little at a time) trying to eliminate smileys althogether and the pistol functions fine with FMJ and JHP. Except one brand of JHP not so good, read the last page on the thread.
If all you're going to carry is FMJ, forget the feed ramp mod.
Cheers,
og

G

·
What concerns me about smileys more than anything else is the bullet getting knocked back into the cartridge far enough to cause to much pressure in the chamber that might damage the gun or worse. I just measured one of my rounds with a smiley and it's .028" shorter on average than the other rounds in the box of 95 Gr. Remington UMC Jacketed Round Points. Looks like I'll be doing a little grinding on my ramp to in the near future.

Rook

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Drastic measures may be needed

Rook,
the setback you reported is highest I've seen. My P3AT required drastic measures to reduce smileys. The crappy MecGar magazine is 50 to 75% of the problem. IMO!! :evil: The inside of the mag has slippery black enamel. With the healthy recoil, the round after the one being fed will be jolted forward and there is nothing to slow it down with the magazine inside slippery the way it is.
See my posts on the Smiley Philosophy thread for what I have done to my magazine. Drastic, yes, but it produces enough friction to retard the forward push of the round under the one being fed, which is the one that the ramp hits.
By all means, do the ramp modification, it is needed. But unless you do something about the magazine too, smileys will continue, at least they did for me.
The UMC is a good round in my opinion, maybe a little dirtyer than Speer, but I've had no malfunctions with UMC. And it's low cost at WalMart.
Keep us posted with your results.
og

1 - 7 of 7 Posts