Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if anyone from KT reads this, I'd sure like to know.

I live in MA, and currently, KT pistols are not legal to sell in my state, I was wondering if KT plans on changing their pistols to be MA compliant? based on the reviews and information here, I would like to a KT 9mm to my collection, but can not?

any info would be appreciated

thx

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
KT is unlikely to make changes to suit an individual state. Marty, their head 'smith (Bloodwalker here), may come in and say more about it... but I'd say the answer's probably the same.
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that stinks

thats stinks :cry:

based on the threads here, the KT pistols seem like really good guns

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Yep... I live in a state where they require a spent casing to be sent with the pistol. Kel-ec doesn't do that... took over a month for my dealer to make arrangements with the State Police to have it ballistically fingerprinted before I could take possession of it. There are only two states that require that.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I stilll don't understand "ballistic fingerprinting" based upon the cartirdge casing -- especially in a semi-auto. Change the firing pin, extractor, ejector, and barrel, and you've got a different "print" on that casing. Not to mention they don't get a bullet -- which is the normal media for ballistic fingerprinting.

I think the intent of the requirement of a spent case is just to put an additional burden on the manufacturer. Those that haven't complied, don't get sold in that state -- whiich is what the gun grabbing libs really want....less guns in their state.

I remember one KT that I bought, had a little piece of paper with some statement from the Massachusetts Attorney General regarding safely locking or securing the gun from minors....

Maybe they were sold in MA at one point -- and you might be able to pick up a used one?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gary,

I feel your pain. I too live in a state that bans the sale of the entire Kel-Tec line, except the SU-16, which makes a LOT of sense. We can buy the most powerful gun Kel-Tec makes, but not a .32 peashooter. No pistols are allowed to be sold in Calif. without a safety no matter how long the trigger pull or how well it does in drop tests.

You might want to check to see how the laws read concerning used guns sold by a private party. Here in CA, a private party sale of most any gun is legal. You have to go through a FFL and wait the usual 10 days, but it is doable. I got my P-32 that way. Also, you can bring in most guns if you are moving to the state, just no assault rifles or hi-cap mags. (moving to CA and want to make a fast buck? Bring Kel-Tecs).

If you can somehow legally buy a Kel-Tec, start haunting the auction boards, local gun shops and shows. Keep asking and looking. Gun dealers in particular will try to talk you out of it, as they would rather sell you something else right then and there, but keep at it. Eventually you'll find one. It can take a while.

Also, be prepared to spend a bit more than the prices you see here and other sites on the web. I really lucked out and got my hard chrome P-32 for $250 with three holsters, lots of spare parts and a box of bullets from a cop. Police officers are exempt from the ban, so that is another avenue to explore. Since then, I've turned down offers of $400 for my little buddy. People want them, but they can't have them, even at top dollar.

Good luck,

CA

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mass law

I don't think mass requires the ballistic fingerprinting yet, but probably soon.
as far as a used gun, heres the catch. If the dlr can prove it was registered, in mass, prior to 1998 then they can sell it. as far as private parties go, I believe that as long as your permit covers it, mass now does high cap and non high cap licenses, you can do private party sales, ie... friend to friend just have to fill out a form from the police department, or you can just write a bill of sale. supposedly, they may be repealing some of the gun laws.

heres a good one for you all, springfield arms, based in springfield MASS the majority of their pistols are not mass complient, and can not be sold in the state they were made in.

thx

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
state abbrv

sorry Midi, I know NY is new york, but MY escapes me?
what state is that?

I know the logic for being able to buy a KT rifle in MA, is that it is not concealable there aren't too many laws regarding rifles, you still need a permit, but only an FID for long guns.
hey, MA evenn requires an FID for bb guns and bow/arrows

they take my money via taxes, and won't let me enjoy the pleasures of shooting a nice gun, from what I've heard, like the kt's

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kt answer

I got an email from KT, I guess they really do read these posts

the answer,

"Unfortunately, no.

Sorry.......

www.Kel-Tec.com
"

too bad for me and my mass friends