1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'm sure there's enough barrel length... if they'll Magna-Port a 2 inch .357 Smith snubby, they'll do a KT.
Speaking of which.. have you ever shot a ported .357 snub?
In the dark?
Without hearing protection?
OUCH!!!
FLYER

G

·
that's different.....what flyer was doing seemed intentional...the other is different and even then there will be some auditory exclusion that goes with the adrenaline rush that will block some of the noise.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I meant firing it in defensive use...
I assure you, no matter how scared you are, it's gonna be LOUD.
Trust me on this one.
Flyer

G

·
true....i guess that's why the personal defense ammo is so popular....it was designed with that in mind...not to mention that follow up shots are quicker....

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Speaking of which.. have you ever shot a ported .357 snub?
In the dark?
Without hearing protection?
OUCH!!!
FLYER
No but i did shoot a 12 in a closed room. Took about a day before I could really hear again.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
magnaport

iv'e shot a few times in the dark with no ear protection! :shock:

·
Registered
519 Posts
i use protection, but ive never tried putting it in my ears.

wait, are we talking about the same thing???

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
ear protection

ph, try it, it'll keep the wind from blowin thru! :p :p :p

·
Registered
519 Posts
now wait just a minute there, are you implying that...uhm...wait what were we talking about?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Just say "no" to porting a Kel-Tec. Any particular reason why you would want to?

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why portiing?

Just say no?

Well, Keys, decades of working with my hands have left me with a touch of arthritis and some nerve damage. While I can still hold a firm grip, even the vibrations from using a hammer, or especially a pneumatic cutter can give me aches in short order.

My P-357 bucks and snorts a bit more than either, so I thought that a MagnaPort might help. I like the idea of the magnaport because it's porting at 45-degrees on either side.

So, why are you voicing opposition to porting my KT? Is it a safety issue or just your preference?

Kahrpacker

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Porting is fine for competition pistols, but not always the best choice for a self defense weapon. I have opted for 22 lb. recoil springs in my P-40 to tame the harshness. By doing so I'm trading off a little extra wear and tear for a much smoother shooting pistol that works flawlessly with both standard and hotter ammo.
I would be concerned that a followup shot may be hindered by increased flash and level of report. Self defense situations do not always occur outside in bright sunlight. In a confined area with low light you may do more to disable yourself rather than your attacker with a ported firearm, especially if you find it necessary to fire in haste with your weapon not fully extended.
I would take the previous advice and purchase some tamer personal defense rounds. Do you have a P-11 top end for practice?

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
KeysBear what is the factory weight of the 357sig/40 main spring? I have a set of new Wolff springs they are going to change for higher power ones. They are stock P-11 16 pound springs. Also why would heavier springs cause more wear? Maybe I misunderstood that part. I would like to have the heavy springs so I can go to the 357sig corbons for bigger bang, flash, and Recoil! Love that little 357sig 14 oz pistol, its a blast!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
17.5 lbs. for factory P-40 springs. With 22 lb. springs the slide and barrel will return with increased velocity causing the barrel lug to wear faster at the point where it locks up with the assembly pin.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

KeysBear said:
17.5 lbs. for factory P-40 springs. With 22 lb. springs the slide and barrel will return with increased velocity causing the barrel lug to wear faster at the point where it locks up with the assembly pin.
Hmm maybe I'll go with 19 pounds if they make em? Kinda middle ground?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
Hmm maybe I'll go with 19 pounds if they make em? Kinda middle ground?
19, 20, 21 and 22 Lb.

I wouldn't worry about wear and tear too much. Keep some extra assembly pins around, and you can always send the pistol back to Kel-Tec for a rebuild. Best customer service going.

Regards, Keys 8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts