Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After firing approx 175 rounds thru my P3AT, the magazine drops out during firing. I made sure that my thumb was not hitting the release during recoil. The mag. catch does not appear to be worn and the spring seems to lock it in fine. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
There's a good chance you're hitting the button whether you know it or not.. the AT hops and torques around in your hand on firing, and may be bumping a knuckle or other finger without your knowledge.
Kel-Tec will send you a new mag catch if you give them a call, and you can see if that's it... if not, use a different hold. I keep my thumb straight along the frame almost above the takedown pin during firing, and never have a mag drop (or a takedown pin walk out!).
Flyer

·
Registered
168 Posts
You said after 175 rounds... If that is in one session, I would say fatigue is setting in and causing some hand position changes, causing the depression of the release.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Do you use +1 extensions on your mags? The increased mag spring pressure when using the +1 mags does cause additional stress and wear on the plastic mag release. I've had this occur with my P-3AT.

Try this test. Put a fully loaded magazine into the gun and make sure it locks in place. Without racking the slide, or chambering a round -- pull down on the base of the magazine as if to remove it WITHOUT pressing the mag release button. If the mag release is worn the magazine will pull free with light to moderate force. If so, the release should be replaced.

When I replace my magazine release on my P-3AT, I am going to remove the +1 bases from my magazines -- or retain them and only load in 6 rounds.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had a problem with a weak mag release on a new P-3AT. It quickly got to the point where the mag just wouldn't stay in. A quick trip back to Kel-Tec and back and it's fine now.

As to keeping a proper grip, I find that the NAA Finger Rest Extension installed on my P-3AT magazine helps a great deal. Such a light gun bucks pretty well in .380acp, but the finger rest extension helps me keep my grip firm. Instructions on how to install them are found here (same instructions for the P-32 work for the P-3AT as well).

Here are some more pictures.

I quite like the greater stability of the gun in my hand with that addition.

Jeff - who shamelessly promotes the same stylish accessory that Wilson does.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I had a very similar issue with my P-357sig. After the first mag through the gun, the mag would pop out after each round. I found that my catch had sheared off due to the heavy recoil. I got a new one from KT but the shelf/mag catch is very shallow. I took my old one and made the bottom half out of aluminum. I then bonded it to the top half. This lasted for around 30 rounds then it separated. I had to rebond it then pin the peace in latterly. Not super pretty but it works. :oops:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
i think it looks "super" great. wish i could do work like that!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I like the idea of a metal magazine release in the KT firearms. I'd replace all of mine with metal if they were available.

I've sent an email to www.BlueForceGear.com , suggesting that they produce such an aftermarket metal magazine release for the various KT firearms.

If this is something you might be interested in for your KTs, send an email to their product support contact at:

[email protected]

and express your desire for such a part. If they see the interest and potential market, maybe we'd soon be able to replace our magazine releases once and for all.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

byron said:
i think it looks "super" great. wish i could do work like that!
Thanks Byron the hardest part is the little lip that catxhes the mag. I had to really get a grip on the dremel for that part! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts