Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the procedure for mag changes on the P3AT??
The best I can come up with is load 7, shoot 6 then drop and change!!
What do you all think???

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well...
I say the best way to change mags is probably just to depress the mag catch, drop the magazine, then put in a new one...
Seriously, I don't even worry about speed mag changes. I don't figure I'll have time for one if the SHTF.
I'd carry a spare mag, though... if Ohio had CONCEALED CARRY!!!
AAAArrrrggghhh!!!!
Flyer

·
Registered
192 Posts
Call it superstition or being kind to my springs, I always load 1 less than capacity. I carry no spare ammo, I carry 1 spare gun.

Actually my P3AT is my spare. My primary is a Glock 26 or Kahr PM9.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I carry at least two spare mags with me when I carry and I only carry one gun. The bugaboo is the fact that the P3AT has no hold open. That is why I'm trying to find out about mag changes. By the way, have any of you tried to rack the slide on one of these beasts yet?? :wink: There has to be at least a 100lb recoil spring in the thing!! Sheesh!!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
denfoote,
Yep, it's at least 100 lbs, maybe more.
I was thinkin' (always a bad idea) about making a small winch the size of a spare mag you could carry... just fit it over the grip and turn the handle, and it'll drag back the slide and let it pop forwards at the proper time...
I think what you're saying, basically, is that it's a major pain to chamber a round. The slide stop would make it easier. Right?
The way I now cycle the slide is to approach it like an enemy. I grab it with the entire palm of my non-shooting hand, wrench it back as hard as possible, and let it slip through my grip as it reaches full travel.
This never fails to chamber a round.
Sometimes it also requires immediate medical attention.
You may leave a bit of your hide on the slide serrations, but you'll be ready to go bang!
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
My favorite approach normally (with other pistols) is this...
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! (count of 10)
CLICK (magazine ejecting)
Insert 15-round hi-cap :mrgreen: :!:
KA-CHUNK (slide slamming forward
BANG! BANG! (and so on and so forth)

I'm working on hunting down some 15-rd hi-caps for the P3AT, and I've also got a line on some 8-round mags that may work. Once that comes about then I'll be able to do almost the same with my P3AT (except I get to rack the slide instead of hitting the slide release... :( )

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wish I could say that I would carefully count each shot and on the 6th (I always load 7) I would eject and load a fresh one. But I have the feeling I might just fire that puppy till it's empty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts