Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to look for a P-40. Any quirks I should be on the lookout for? Anyone have a good source for them?

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Perhaps somehow you missed the fact that your first post is supposed to be in this thread.

Nothing major, Just a quick, "Hi, all." is sufficient. Please do so as soon as you get the chance.

Now to your questions.

I used to have a P-11 with the .40 S%W top end. The only thing that I would consider a quirk is that you cannot use 180 gr. bullets. To me, that is not a problem. To you, it might be. Also, If I were you, I would discontinue my search if I were at all recoil sensitive. Such power in such a light package can be brutal. Because of the recoil, a firm hold is necessary. Without it, the pistol will not function properly. That is the reason that they have been discontinued. Too many perfectly good guns coming back to the shop under warranty that had no problem other than a shooter who didn't give the gun a good enough platform from which to operate. I really miss mine, and wish that I hadn't needed to sell it.

As to good sources. There are none. These pistols have not been produced in years. Those that have them now, are usually not willing to part with them. The do appear every so often on Gun Broker, and Guns America. Your only option is to keep scouring the used market until you find one.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
If you get one, order some Wolff recoil springs for it ASAP. I like the 22lb set, but the 20 or 21 might be better for some.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Adding to magman454's excellent summary . . .

You might have better luck watching for a P-40 conversion for a P-11. You'll also need a P-11, of course. Like Magman, that was the route I followed some time ago when P-40 pistols were already scarce. If you don't already have a P-11, that would be a good acquisition now since they are still widely available.

Other than the added recoil and power of the .40 S&W round, you will find most of the advantages in nearly identical P-11 using slightly less expensive 9mm ammunition. Because it is not a serial numbered gun part, the P-40 conversion, consisting or a complete slide and barrel, can ship directly to you, no FFL required. I have even seen them on eBay! :roll:

If you can learn to shoot either of these pistols from Kel-Tec well, you will find that virtually anything you shoot from nearly any other manufacturer will seem easy to shoot by comparison. That's a good thing. :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
P40's found

I have reasently purchased 2 P40's off gun broker,paid less than $300.00 for each.
I am curios about the Wollf springs,why would I need to change to them?The 2 guns I have seem to work good. John :D

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
The P-40 can be a handful to shoot, especially in rapid fire. If you plan on carrying fairly mild ammo, the factory springs are probably fine. The stiffer springs convert a lot of "flip" into "push" which is a good thing IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
spings

I will probably only carry Win white box target ammo it,I'm not a big fan of high power ammo for concealed carry.I am an NRA Certified Instructor for PPIH and I try really hard to impress on my students that they are responsible for every round they fire and that nearly an y confrontation they would encounter will be at very close range and over prenatration is going to be a problem.I carry a 380 some times and it has Speer gold dots in it,of course it is a P3at! John

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Um... Really?

It's harder to maintain responsibility for shots of ball ammo than hollowpoints (aka "high power" carry ammo in most cases...). New Jersey legislators are tards for outlawing it, when it makes more sense for crowded areas. The expanding hollowpoint bullet disperses more energy inside its target rather than punching straight through as ball ammo tends to do, which can subsequently cause more collateral damage.

Weakly loaded WWB ball ammo is going to have more penetration than hotly loaded hollowpoints. Period.

·
Registered
382 Posts
thats a first, i have never herd a instructer suggest carrying fmj in a 40 cal.

the bullet will go straight through virtually anyone with enough force to penetrate deep into whoever is behind them. even cheap jhp will often overpenetrate due to poor expansion.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Yeah, a real head-scratcher. Nothing like combining poor terminal performance with a dramatically-increased risk of overpenetration. :?

·
Registered
35 Posts
P40

I don't tell any one to carry a 40 cal of any kind,mostly I suggest 380 cal,I feel it will get the job done,I carry a P3at alot.At this time I am carrying a PF-9 with Speer Gold Dot hollow
point in it,is this combo ok with Ya'll? :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts