Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I admit it. I really want a Springfield 1911 but I just can't do it 'til I wrestle 10 more alligators. sooo...am I going to be laughed out of the corps if I just get my toes wet with a Llama Max? I wouldn't mind some input...

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Sometimes I hate this job...
Okay, first:
The Llamas work just fine, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. They even look pretty nice, too.
They're a great bargain for the price. More than your money's worth.
They have a bad reputation that stems from their early days when their steel was about as hard as lukewarm butter.
This is no longer the case, but the stigma is sticking and doesn't seem shakable.
So... yep, they're gonna point and laugh.
Stupid, but true.
One thing, though: if you get one and practice with it at a range by yourself 'till you're better than they are, then show up and blow them away (group-wise) with it!
They'll stop laughing immediately.
Flyer

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flyer. I appreciate your comments and assistance!
Barry

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a Llama 380 in the 70's that I shot the crap out of. It did very well. I gave it to another Deputy whose home caught fire to use as a backup. When he retired 12 years later he still had it. Jeff Cooper at the time liked their small pistols as hideout guns in addition to the Star (is Star even around anymore?).

Back to my point (having a senior moment there). The Llamas on the range locally look great and shoot as well as any mil-spec on the range.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Edward! With what both you and Flyer have told me, I feel fairly confident in buying the Llama Max .45.
Barry

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Oh, the little Llama .380!
What a fun gun that was... and still should be, in it's present form, the MicroMax.
A mini-1911, right down to the grip safety! I love shooting the little thing.
The Colt Government .380 was a good gun... but it didn't capture the feel of the 1911 like the Llama does. I'd pick the Llama any day over the Colt.
Flyer

·
Registered
15 Posts
A Bersa 380 was my second gun that I used to qualify for the CHL. I believe that is some relationship between Bersa and Llhama. Anyway the Bersa was the gun I traded in for my P-11 and I'm a little sorry that I did. It was a GREAT little gun. If
the 45 is any thing like the little cousin... I was looking at one of the 45s myself. I figured that I could say a little money on common ammo and have larger capacity in the mags. I've gotten that but I have not gotten as accurate yet.

-KL

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Llama 1911 copies aren't great, no...
But, the MiniFireStorm .45 is a superb pistol.
I prefer it to my Sig P-220.
Flyer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts