Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KTRange Digest: #1 - \"The Pet Gun Syndrome\"

It might be interesting to post an item of interest and importance to discuss together every week or so, so I figgered I'd let 'er rip!
I believe Massad Ayoob coined the term. Anyhow, it's "Fluffy the Pet Gun".
You know... we handle our favorite guns so much, and they become our "friends".
Therefore, careless handling sets in... "Oh honey, I know it's not loaded, I just CHECKED! Here, see?"
BANG!
Hopefully the hole was through your roof and nothing vital!
We all handle our guns with fond familiarity... (I know I do).
So, let's recite the Golden Rule:
Never touch the trigger until you're READY TO SHOOT!
Everyone remember there's no such thing as an unloaded gun: When they're not looking, they load themselves!
Oh, yeah. I didn't just decide to get up on my soapbox and preach; I was inspired, rather vigorously!!!
My son's "unloaded" pellet pistol sent a .177 caliber chunk of lead by my ear tonight, missing by about six inches and putting a hole in a, ah, calendar on my wall.
His mind was on the calendar, not the pistol. (No, it's not the NRA Calendar, and my son's 19!)
Let's all live to ripe ages to enjoy our calendars!
Flyer

·
Registered
372 Posts
Re: KTRange Digest: #1 - \"The Pet Gun Syndrome\"

Right!

Finger off trigger and out of trigger guard until sight picture acquired and ready to fire.

Always point muzzle in safe direction. Or put another way, never point it at anything you're not willing to buy, amputate or bury.

Always store gun unloaded until ready for use ---- and/or always assume a gun is loaded.

Let's all stay safe.

·
Registered
192 Posts
A month or so ago I talked to an instructor who knows better who was distracted and AD'd his .45. Luckily it was pointed in a safe direction, but it can happen to the best of us.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've had 2 AD's in the past 30 years. Both times the firearm was pointed in a safe direction. That's the difference between embarassment and tragedy. Sort of like riding a bike. Ride long enough and you WILL take a fall. Just a matter of time, because after all, we are only human.

G

·
(2) AD's in the past 15 years. Both went into the wall, one was mine (3.5lb trigger) in a Glock, DON'T RECCOMEND IT! and the other was someone else's. Shame on me for not doing a press check and taking someone's word that it was unloaded. Live and learn though. Atleast no one was hurt, only my pride and a little dry wall! :oops:

As far as a pet gun goes, It would be a toss up between my P32 and Glock 32.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
kaboom

40 years ago when i lived in columbus a good friend called me on christmas afternoon and said to come over as he wanted to show me his christmas present. his father had given him a mod 97 win. that i believe had belonged to his grandfather. we were standing in the living room and phil ran the slide open and closed and the damn thing went off! blew a hole in the ceiling about an inch and a quarter in diameter and right on thru the second floor into a mattress on a bed. as i recall a couple of pellets exited the mattress. talk about getting your heart started! scared the bejabbers out of both of us. phil never fixed the hole. every year he would hang a christmas ornament in it as a reminder that there is no such thing as an unloaded gun. that hole was still there when he sold the house.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Also a another good one is not let kids or crazy people near a gun rather loaded or unloaded. Use sense around smaller children and never let them play with your guns.

Of course the same goes for insane people also. And always keep that unloaded away from anything

G

·
As a Detective, you would be suprised how many reports that I see where people have their gun stolen becasue either they showed someone where it was, left it lying around the house or the ever famous, "someone stole it last night during a party at my house". I am always amazed at the carelessness of people when dealing with guns. To them it is no different than an egg beater.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, figured I might as well make the Topic Change on Mondays, so here's this weeks:
How many KTRangers are Pocket Holster carriers, and how many "Others"?
This is of interest to a lot of folks, and I find it fascinating, myself. Not having CCW (Yet, but it's only a few months away!), I won't have difficulty carrying pretty much anything I want, for primary carry...
But, I know that my P-3AT is ALWAYS going to be in my right front pocket in a leather holster.
Let's find out the most popular way our pistols are carried!
Do you pocket it, use a belt clip, ankle rig, iwb, or anything else? For me pocket carry makes the most sense, and is very comfortable. It could be because I sit down all day, but I really like it.
How 'bout everyone else?
Flyer

·
Registered
345 Posts
To slip back a week, then this weeks topic: Never had an Accidental Discharge! Have had a couple Neglegent Discharges though.

Back when I was about 16 my Dad and I were hunting grouse. I was cradling the 16ga in my left arm when Dad walked around me on my left side. We were approaching a road so I slipped on the safety, Blam!!! Dad's head was not more than 18" in front of that muzzle. Negligent because the equipment was not in good repair.

Move ahead 30 years; Had a Baby Browning clone (PSP25) I was going to clean. Cycled the chambered round out onto the office floor, dropped the magazine. Was starting to take off the slide when I notice the pistol was still cocked. Okay , no problem, point the gun at the floor and dry fire it right; Blam!!!

I always drop the mag first now and eject the chambered round second...

wrt standard carry, P-3AT in weakside front pocket in a crappy Galco pocket holster made for a Seecamp and a Kimber in an IWB on strong hip. Gives both hands access to a laoded firearm should the need arise.

Allan

·
Registered
420 Posts
Everything goes IWB. For me, I just don't feel good about a weapon shoved down in my pocket. Seems it would be impossible to get to if you are sitting in your car or sitting period.?
Tc, Cheryl
:wink:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I carry my P3AT in a K&D pocket holster right now and will continue to do so, However, K&D will be making me an IWB for my Tokarev TT33 as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Clip guy

Mine is in my left (weak) front pocket with the beltclip installed ~ sort of a cross-draw setup. It looks like a knife, and is accessible by either hand.

G

·
95% of the time, left front pocket, uncle mike's #1 with conversion, p32 with spare mag. This is in addition to my S&W 5946. Other times it is a Kahr PM9 in the right front in a Backwoods Leather pocket holster.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hey Midi, re:

"...for those of us who still wear tight jeans with small pockets"

I'm jealous. Must be my feminine side. :!:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Midi,
Man, another Hedley masterpiece!!!
What a gorgeous holster.
Flyer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, I'm waiting for CCW to pass the MO Supreme Court in two weeks (Please, God, I'll never ask for anything again! :D ), and assuming it does I'll be carrying in a custom "modular" holster setup from K&D. The modular setup includes a front pocket holster that snaps into / onto four different pieces -- A) anti-print panel for back pocket B) larger anti-print panel for cargo-pants pocket C) anti-print panel with OC spray cannister slot, and D) a "wallet" shell. (Note - I don't have the holster, haven't even ordered it yet, but as soon as Kevin sends me some pics I'll be placing an order.)

This should allow me complete flexibility for front pocket, back pocket, cargo pocket and dress-pants carry. In my line of work I sit far too much to carry IWB comfortably, and it's got to be *deep* concealment, as some of my coworkers and (undoubtedly) some senior management are anti-gun. I absolutely have to avoid being "made" at all costs. This is because (assuming CCW passes the SC) even though CCW will be legal, MO is an "at will" employment state, meaning an employer or employee may terminate employment at any time for any reason or no reason at all (other than for age, race, gender, sexual orientation & other "prohibited" factors). Because management may be anti-gun I'm not willing to take the chance that they might terminate my employment over their personal biases against guns.

FWIW, in anticipation of CCW passing I found an old wallet in my junk drawer that my P3AT fits into, and I put a block of wood inside that roughly equates the size and weight of my pocket rocket, and I've been carrying it around in my front pocket for a couple weeks now, just to get used to it. Not one person has commented on it or inquired, or otherwise indicated that they think anything is out of the ordinary. Of course, where I work it's very normal for many people to carry PDAs and cell phones in their pockets, so it probably just looks like a PDA.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts