Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3rd gen KSG (at least that's what I determined via looking up the SN). I bought it last year and love the look and feel. Unfortunately its been unrealiable. After the 1st shell is fired the shell in the chamber won't extract, you have to manually move the action (can't rack it back). After a few rounds the weapon will begin to cycle. Seems like the flaring of the 12ga shell is getting the round stuck and after a bit the barrel warms up, expands, and then the weapon cycles.

I've heard that certain shells feed/extract better so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has a suggestion. I tried e-mailing and calling Kel-Tec but they haven't answered at all. Seriously considering selling the KSG but thought I'd try here 1st. If its the ammo I can change that. Been buying some bird shot just to break the weapon in.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Don't use low brass shells. Ket Tec recommends only using high brass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will give that a try. Going to the range this weekend and I will pick up some high brass shells. Be great to have it working reliably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's the same way with mine ( bought 1/17), low brass Rios Spartan 00 buck fails to eject and causes a double feed about 1 out of 5 rds. After picking out the loaded round(#@$&!*) and setting the feed selector in the middle position and repetitively pumping briskly until spent shell is ejected. On the flip side low brass(alum) federal 7 -1/2 bird (Dick's SG sale stuff) runs flawlessly! I haven't tried yet to alter my reloading procedure by aggressively pumping the slide forward to set the extractor on the case rim! That might help but shouldn't be counted on as SOP!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts