Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored and decided to work on my Kiffe. The knife is very old, but did not have a lot of collector value, other than sentimental. Here is my progress so far. I have the knife torn apart and one side polished. I am going to refinish with the Bake on spray on powder coat finish they make for guns.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is very possible. Don't think it would be a good thing though. 1. would it be legal to make it a Bayo? 2. I would have to use it on a gun that has a bayo lug or adapt a bayo lug to a gun (I am sure that is not legal). I am using a nice hard wood with a beautiful grain pattern for the handle. The tear drop cut out on the back is going to be made into a lanyard hole via aluminum. Right now I am cleaning up the edges and removing some of the pits in this 20 plus year old knife. I have it almost polished. This thing is huge and heavy. Even after the material removal so far it is so thick I am sure it would go through a car door.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Have you considered using a mild acid solution to give it a Damascened look, rather than the other finish?
If you're using nice wood for the handle, it seems this would be a nice way to complement it.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:

Flyer said:
Have you considered using a mild acid solution to give it a Damascened look,Flyer
I had not, but hmm............. I was gonna go with a super high polish then a bake on finish. I like the Damascus idea. What type of acid should I try Flyer? How does it apply?

I have decided not to take the metal down to remove all of the pits. It would be possible to do it, but I do not want to remove the "Kiffe Japan" on the tang. Can't wait to get started on the sheath :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spent 3 hours sanding and polishing. How's it look guys? HEHE you can see my new Camera in one of them. I love to polish metal! It's so prurty. LOL

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
truly a 'nut'

you're truly a 'nut' like your main name and quite a dedicated nut at that. I'm getting too old to have patience like that anymore. Great looking job. Looking forward to the finished picture.
Watch somebody ask where to get a "camera" like your new hexsocket. Is it digital, and how many megapixels?? :lol: 8)

You have forced me to post a pic of my favorite knife, tactical, built like a tank, super S30V blade and all that. ChinookII that I got from www.newgraham.com at a nice discount.

og

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: truly a 'nut'

oldgranpa said:
you're truly a 'nut' like your main name and quite a dedicated nut at that. <snip> Watch somebody ask where to get a "camera" like your new hexsocket. <snip>
You have forced me to post a pic of my favorite knife, <snip>og
Sweet knife "OG triple OG". (can you tell what movie "OG triple OG is from guys?). BTW thanks for the compliment I take my Gun Nuttiness seriously LOL. I was waiting for some one to say something like that about the camera. :)

Here is all I got done last night. I was tired. :D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couple more pics. Almost done. Have to put one more coat ont he grips then sharpen and final polish the blade.

G

·
You know, now in addition to "must have" guns that I have run into on this board, now I am running into "must have" knives. My wallet has been suffering for the past several months because of you guys........I like the Spyderco Chinook II.

Hmmmm, what do I have around here that can go into the for sale section.....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hey you made look it all purty!!

Thats some work though...

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re:

cloak said:

But the question is it good work!? :shock: I am never satisfied when I do a project. Oh well I will live with it. :D My dad does not frown anymore when he see's it so I guess it is ok. LOL

G

·
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
cloak said:

But the question is it good work!? :shock: I am never satisfied when I do a project. Oh well I will live with it. :D My dad does not frown anymore when he see's it so I guess it is ok. LOL
YOU need to stop that mess......... :shock:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts