Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
OMG. :shock: I have died and gone to KT heaven! You have just addressed EVERY issue, little bother, and wish I have had for the SU-16! Oh man I can't wait till the 3rd quarter :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
KTWM,

For those of us loyal KT fans that have already shelled out the bucks on the original SU-16, is there any provision for just getting an "upgrade" of some type? It looks like many if not all of the new mods could be done to an existing SU-16....

Thought maybe George would be generous enough to come up with something similar to the hard chrome update we've enjoyed on the P-11, P-40, and P-32. Even if it was limited to KTRangers only (wish, wish).

I'd like to upgrade my SU-16 to the SU-16C...sure that others would too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it would be very difficult to totally transform an SU-16 to an SU-16C but not impossible. The problem is that the barrel and gas block are difficult to remove. Most of the other parts are interchangeable.

The best you could do easily is to get the aluminum sight (front and rear) from the SU-16B, the Stock assembly from the SU-16C, and the Bolt carrier assembly from the SU-16C (which includes the dust cover). All of these parts will be available as accessories. Although you may need to send your rifle in to Kel-Tec to have some of them installed. You could call it The SU-16ABC :)

Of course these parts won't be available until some time after the SU-16B and SU-16C go into production.

Also: there is a new picture on the Kel-Tec SHOT2004 page showing the Barrel of the SU-16C and the Muzzle brake seperately.
here: http://www.kel-tec.com/SHOT2004.htm

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hey KTWM.

Thanks for the reply -- and participating in the KTRange! I figured at least some of the upgrades could be easily performed. Primarily, I'm interested in the stock. Hopefully, the price on the stock as a part will not be the better part of a new rifle.

If George is interested in KTRangers "wishes"....please make sure he knows some of us would buy a single stack pistol (with barrels available in 9mm, 40S&W, .357 Sig.) in a heartbeat. A .22 conversion for it would be nice too.....

Uh, I better stop before I over-extend your graciousness.....or get slapped from the KTRangers... :p

Thanks for sharing the new "stuff" with us,
flyandscuba

PS Next time in on your side of the state, I'll try to stop by and check out how the new factory addition is coming.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How is the barrel attached on a normal su-16? I was thinking about adding a custom made heavy wieght match type barrel. Is it even possible to take the old one out without damaging the receiver?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

MikeG22 said:
How is the barrel attached on a normal su-16? I was thinking about adding a custom made heavy wieght match type barrel. Is it even possible to take the old one out without damaging the receiver?
Judging by what I see on the Kel-Tec parts page for the SU, it APPEARS to take a standard AR type barrel. While KTrangers tend to be tinkerers by definition, if you had planned to make many modifications to the SU, I think I would have recommended an AR instead. Some guns lend themselves to this quite well... the AR15 and the 1911 being prime examples of big erector sets. Thousands of aftermarket goodies and optional modifications exist for both. What I don't see on their parts diagram are the AR barrel indexing slot and the barrel pin. At the very least, you will need a special barrel wrench to remove it and a torque wrench guaged in ft/lbs to reinstall it IF it will take an AR barrel. I also don't see a gas port on top of the barrel which all AR barrels would have.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope, skip the idea of an AR barrel!
Make the barrel heavier, and you'll defeat one of the SU's best characteristics, also...
Flyer

·
Registered
32 Posts
While I'd love an AR I can't get one in Kali. Hence the su-16. Now, I'm thinking of it being a 3-gun rifle since I can use my full-cap mags. I would however really like a nice heavy barrel and to actually add some weight so it shoots even flatter and won't have issues with rapid fire.

I just wanted to make sure the barrel is "replaceable" in that I can take it out and make something to fit in it's place. I know a few people who do some hardcore accessories making and I think I could get the barrel done as long as I can take it out of the receiver without hurting it since it's polymer and all. As production kicks up and more and more people get them here I think accessories might grow as it's the best option for 3gun here I think.

G

·
Why the change to the SU-16? What was wrong with the first one, if anything? Why did they take the magazine storage out of the new one? The front sight looks better than the original one. Do you think that the new one will affect the price of th old one? and if so, will it increase it or decrease it?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I doubt if the value of the original SU will be affected at all.
I really like the looks of the new ones, and the fact they've got muzzle brakes. Also, they can fire while folded- invaluable for a house-clearing or Leo weapon.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The SU-16B still has the magazine storage feature in the stock. I guess they had to do away with it in the SU-16C so the stock could fold underneath the seated magazine and still be able to fire folded.

I'll definitely by buying the folding stock as an accessory. The change out should be quick and without difficulty. I'll give up the mag storage for the folding/firing capability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.