Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up on of these -- haven't even shot it yet. But -- so far its very impressive.

This gun seems to be to be the gun that Glock and Kel-Tec could/should make -- a thin, single stack, 9mm. It is 6+1 or 7+1 (with the extended mag included) in a very flat, striker fired gun with a very nice DAO trigger pull.

(O.k. its not techically DAO -- like the P-3AT, P-32 and Glock, the hammer/striker is partially cocked by slide action, so no multiple strike capability).

The only thing I see wrong with this gun so far is that they are expensive -- but the quality and the fit and finish are excellent.

Anybody else have one?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I looked closely at the Kahr before settling on a Glock 19. I would have gone with the MK9 rather than the poly version... but neither really fit in my pocket so I opted for something altogether bigger.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well... yeah, I've got one...
It shoots well. Quite accurate.
Do I HAVE to talk about Kahrs?
Nothing wrong with them, mind you, but...
For the money you could get a LOADED Springfield Armory 1911.
Aw, shaddup, Flyer...
Flyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear you Midi, but I got the Glock 19 too!

The PM9 works for me for pocket carry, especially in casual clothes. The P-3AT still rules for carry at work though.

Flyer -- you could have a loaded 1911 -- but you darn sure couldn't put it in your pocket! :)

G

·
I have a PM9 and an MK9. They are both great carry guns and I like the way that they offset the feed ramp. I bought the MK9 used for 350.00 and the PM9 new for 550.00. They seem to hold their value well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couple of reasons for the PM9 rather than 40...

First, I wanted a 9mm so I could share ammo with my Glock 19.

Second, in that small of a polymer gun, I really thought that 9mm would be more controllable than .40. If I was going all steel or even or a larger gun like a P-40 or T-40, I would be more tempted to go with .40.

I think that 9mm or 9mm +P gives me a significant power advantage over my P-3AT or the S&W 442 in .38 special I used to carry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You betcha! PDs for the PM9 are available now -- we already have the dummy gun.

I will post a pic of mine as soon as it is ready!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re:

Harley said:
Just curious, why did you choose the PM9 over the PM40?
I believe the PM9 mag holds one more round than the PM40.

I just looked it up on the Kahr website and it sure looks nice. Especially like the black stainless steel version. Lighter, shorter and thinner than the P-11 at the cost of 4 rounds. It is tempting me to buy myself a Christmas present. Or should I just wait until the Rohrbaugh R-9 hits the market and have a VERY small 9mm pocket pistol?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I carry a PM9 in a Kramer pocket holster. Had initial problems feeding and ejecting. Went back to the factory, came back rockin'.

They had a bad batch of recoil springs from a 3rd party.

I have a P9 Covert that has never failed.

Its easy to hide, I carry it when I can't hide a Glock 26 as I prefer 10 rounds to 6.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Murray,

If people think Kahrs are expensive --wait for Rohrbaugh. Demand will be high, dealers will be gouging over the already very high retail price... and I am not sure it will be a better or more shootable gun.

The size specs are very similar -- the Rohrbaugh is slightly smaller and slightly lighter. I think the Rohrbaugh was a lot more groundbreaking years ago when it was first being discussed. Now it is not quite so unique.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'm not sure about the Rohrbaugh.
I'd like to see some velocities from it's short barrel.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to prove to be, in practical terms, much more powerful than the P-3AT. The 9x19 round, through this barrel length, is going to suffer drastically.
Not passing judgement on the gun itself, here... just it's potential to be more effective at it's job than the P-3AT. I have a feeling that the Rohrbaugh is NOT going to be a significant upgrade from the P-3AT with its top loadings.
Course, I could be wrong...
Flyer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had to see a Kahr PM-9 in person and did so this morning. Very nice pistol. The size difference compared to the P-11 is imperceptable to me. The Kahr is slightly smaller in length, heigth, and width. They both weigh 14oz. without mags. I will be keeping my P-11. I like the extra 4 rounds. PM-9 is quite nice though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is my personal PM9 pocket holster -- a bit of a twist on our regular Pocket Defender.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Damn that's a pretty holster!!! Would yopu happen to know who makes it? :)
Barry

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
I'm not sure about the Rohrbaugh.
I'd like to see some velocities from it's short barrel.
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's not going to prove to be, in practical terms, much more powerful than the P-3AT. The 9x19 round, through this barrel length, is going to suffer drastically...Flyer
I believe it turns out to be a big difference. Evan's 3rd book (recommended) has short barrel stats unfortunately they don't include .380. The relatively low velocity .45 drops off a larger % (and actual one shot stops) than the other popular full size self defense rounds in short barrels to the point that light weight hollowpoints become the round of choice.

The .380 is a lot like the .45 in that it is low velocity to start with from a normal barrel. But a normal .45 barrel is 5 inches, not sure what a normal barrel length is for .380 as it is generally a pocket pistol round.

The bottom line is those low velocities get even lower in the ultra shortie P3AT which is a problem because it didn't have plenty to start with (like the 9mm). It then tends to fall below the critical threshold required for expansion even from the best bullet designs as evinced recently by Marshall's gelatin testing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
New KM9 Holster

Angebar

That's our new pocket defender style holster that will be available for most models, i.e., P32, P3AT, and similar. I carry my P32 in one of these.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's a great looking holster!!!! How much are you asking for it?
Barry

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That style is going to be $40 for the KT mouseguns and $45 for larger compact autos.

That is a new color for us -- burgandy. It is a very rich color and gives that Herman Oak leather a great look. We are also coming out with a new saddle tan to round out our other colors.

The website should be updated soon with the new wallet products and this design -- along with some other custom stuff we have done recently.

Duane
[email protected]
www.KDHolsters.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts