Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smith and Wesson 4053TSW DAO (without light rail), night sights, (3) 9 round mags with wolff xtra power springs, (3) pre-ban 11 round mags, wolff recoil spring, polished feed ramp, hogue rubber grips and original grips. Approx 1000 rounds through it, owner is the original owner and the pistol is approximately 6 years old. Total 500.00

My Department issues Smith and Wesson pistols so there are plenty of armorers and parts. Seems like a good deal to me but most of my exposure to Smith's have been as my issued LEO duty weapon. I haven't really bought too many autos, but I love the revolvers. Looking for some feedback here....thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It sounds like a fair deal, but not a good deal. With 1000 rounds threw it, the gun is probably worth about $375-$425. And I guess he is wanting around $100. for all the extras.

As far as my Smith and Wesson autos go, they seem thicker in my hand than my other autos and they are hard to conceal.
But they are tough and extremely reliable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought that I should add that I am assuming the gun to be 90-95% of original condition.

But if the gun is in great condition, say like 98%, then it is a good deal.

And if the gun is less than 90% than its a bad deal.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Not a bad deal overall, but...
I think I'd most likely pass...
One of the main things adding value to this particular pistol is the night sights, and since they're at least 6 years old they're probably only really good for another 2...
And the other thing is a personal thing of mine, in that I don't like buying used guns with alloy frames.
On the other hand, you're familiar with the Smiths... so you should be able to determine whether it's been abused or has excessive frame wear that was common on some of the early alloy third-gen Smiths in .40.
Don't get me wrong, though... I really like these Smiths. Great triggers and ergonomics. But I've seen some just like you've described recently at some gun shows for around $325.
Flyer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been chatting with the guy via e-mail and he is a cop. Of course this could be a bad thing also, LOL. The gun seems to be in 95% shape. I have not seen that many for sale on the internet or in my area that were the double stack version. I think that he maybe 25.00 to 50.00 high but it's not like I have found any anywhere else either. I am probably going to get it. Becasue my department currently issues Smith and Wesson I now that I can get it worked on FREE and I think that Smith and Wesson still has a lifetime warranty. The only major concern I have is the frame wear. However, I used to carry a 6906 that had well over 15,000,00 rounds through it and other than deburring the decocking lever, which this one does not have and it ran fine. Yes the frame started to show wear but this was a daily carry piece that saw 7-9 years of daily service. Even Glock's and yes KT's would begin to show wear after that much abuse. That 6906 as well as my current 5946 (all steel) still get yearly maintenance and any parts that need replacing, get replaced. I am thinking that I could probably get the same maintenance attention to this one as well. I just may have to buy the parts, big deal, I have to buy them for my other pistols. I saw a few pics of the gun and it looks good. I am leaning towards getting it. It's not a GREAT deal but I think that it is fair.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I love Smiths but $500 is too high. Good Gun for around $350-$400 range. Not a big fan of 40's, but the TSW's are great guns. I got my 59 1gen in a trade. Gave my G-26 away for it and $100. Glocks are ok, but I like Smiths mucho better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well unfortunately what I have seen in the 350-400 range is the 4053 single stack with no night sights and one magazine. I have only seen one other 4053TSW double stack and it was 450 with 3 9round magazines and no night sights. If I guage the weapon that I want against this one, I am getting a great deal. 6 mags, 3 with wolff springs, 3 pre-ban 11 rounders, night sights and 2 sets of grips. This package stoked with 165gr Golden Sabers and I think that this will be a formidable defensive package.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts