Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title sums it up. I the '16 a battle rifle? I have held one on a few occasions, I will probably be buying on in the very near future. Does anyone consider it to be battle worthy? Do you think that it can take excesses of weather, dirt, and being kept in an unclean conditions for weeks at a time? Is it hardy as say.... a Glock, or MILSPEC 1911, or a Garand? Best -

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
No.
It's not comparable to, say, an AR-15/M-16.
It's rugged, and is likely to take any abuse you're likely to send it's way through normal use, but a military combat rifle it isn't.
It compares to the Mini-14 in terms of ruggedness, more or less... and as far as I can tell, is both more reliable and accurate, and uses AR mags.
The gas system is very reliable and lightweight, and it'll go awhile without cleaning... in fact, the manual suggests cleaning the gas system only every 500 rounds.
It seems to me to be the perfect "Homeland Defense" rifle... using the same round and magazine our military uses, with a excellent level of accuracy and dependability...
But, I'd not want to take it into a truly hostile environment, such as the beaches of Normandy or the sand of Iraq.
Flyer

·
Registered
30 Posts
From the brief inspection I had of the SU16 it looks to be the perfect Militia Rifle. Short and powerful, government issue mags and ammo, politically correct design, easy maintenance, a real winner in the personal defense realm. I plan to buy one to replace the Sub 2000 9mm I own as I think the 5.56/223 cartridge is superior for a rifle.

As mentioned above I doubt it can be considered a "Battle Rifle" as I define the term. Still in battle it would be better than rocks. :)

As for the GLOCK issue... My G26 has won me two additional GLOCK pistols in competition. I shoot it better than any other pistol and find the GLOCK brand to be an excellent police duty weapon. I also believe it would be a superior military pistol as well. It is the best of my meager collection and at this point I will have a GLOCK in my possession always. I enjoy and play with many other pistols but if limited to only one then the GLOCK 26 would be it. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the SU-16 to be a "Battle Rifle", it would have to be significantly reinforced structuraly.
As to the Glock, it is battle worthy. It has been my experience that at least 75% of all Glock malfunctions are caused by operator error, predominately "limp-wristing". And that can be corrected with training.

·
Registered
23 Posts
"It seems to me to be the perfect "Homeland Defense" rifle... "

Good so far...

"But, I'd not want to take it into a truly hostile environment"

Does anyone else catch the irony here? :wink: :lol:
Battle is battle, whether in the hills of Georgia, or the hills of Georgia. (US & Russia, that is)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
entropy,
Um, no, not really ironic at all...
Battle is not battle in such black and white terminology.
A "Homeland Defense Rifle", as I describe it, is a reliable, fairly rugged rifle that is quickly deployed in an emergency situation that's likely near your home. Said rifle must be accurate enough to make consistent long-distance shots, and ideally will accept our military rifle's ammo and magazines.
The SU fills this role better than anything else currently available, I believe... and the upcoming variations will only serve to increase it's desirability in this role.
It's MOST unlikely that it'll be called upon to serve in any of our most hostile environments in America... I hardly believe we're likely to slog it out with our antagonists in the swamps of Florida, or trudging through Bayou country. THIS is where the AR would reign supreme... but the SU isn't likely to ever see a swamp in the course of it's duties.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

naturecop said:
For the SU-16 to be a "Battle Rifle", it would have to be significantly reinforced structuraly.
As to the Glock, it is battle worthy. It has been my experience that at least 75% of all Glock malfunctions are caused by operator error, predominately "limp-wristing". And that can be corrected with training.
Glocks are Great

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Just because you had a bad experience with one bad G26... is no reason to continually bash Glocks. If they were all crap they would not be in use by police departments all over the country nor would they be in foreign military service around the world.

If all of us here that had a negative experience with a Kel-Tec pistol bashed them as a matter of practice... there wouldn't be much of a board!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Glock Note:
I've only got three pistols (full sized), that's been fired upwards of two thousand rounds without a malfunction of any sort.
One is a Les Baer 1911.
The other two are a Glock G-22 and a G-30.
I've got shooting experience with almost ALL battle pistols out there...
Just my opinion!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Midiman said:
Just because you had a bad experience with one bad G26... is no reason to continually bash Glocks.
I most sincerely apologize Midi. I am not trying to bash the Glock. I just meant to Defend my statements being alluded to. I shall no longer make statements of any kind being in any way Negative towards Glock. Sorry Midi.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am coming back in a little late but I too think the term Homeland Defense rifle is a perfect fit for the SU-16.

I also like the Mini-14 and consider the two rifles similar in philosophy and style. Neither are the equal of the AR15 platform today as a Battle Rifle.

I would trust it in any battle situation I might find myself in around my home. From the possible prowler to standing guard after a hurricane to defending my family and home in a riot situation. I would not want to rely on it in a full time military campaign. At least not yet. who knows how it might end up in the scheme of things!

I would be happy to back it up with my GLOCK 17 or 26 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts