Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking that it might be fun to make my own gun using the precious metal clay that I was talking about in the P-11 forum.
I think it would be fun to make my own gun!, I mean not trying to out do kel-tec or anything like that!.
I could make the frame out of the PMC and make the slide out of the PMC, and order the barrel, plastic handle, and all the other parts from kel-tec. I have seen and owned many guns but never one made out of pure .999 silver, The 24k gold would be way to soft to do this. I could even put a small diamond in the side of the slide just for that added touch.
I sure would not want to do it if it would be illegal, I could add serial numbers and register it with the sheriffs office if this would make it legal!.
Anyone out there know if this would be legal or not??
Also! anyone know if pure silver would be strong enough to handle the 380??. Real old coins was made from silver and they hold up from being banged and all kinds of harsh treatment.

G

·
Diamondmike,

The men in black suits have just boarded a Black Hawk and are headed your way. If I were you I'd take that Assault Weapon that you're manufacturing (that's what the news media will label it anyway) and head for the hills. Don't let them take you alive at least go out shooting and not laying in a rat hole like saddam. :lol:

Rook

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should have been careful what you say

Rook Monday,
The men in the Black Suits have just read where you suggested to shoot it out with Law enforcement agents, they have just turned the Black Hawk around and is now heading your way!
If I was you, I would just give-up and Sue!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
JBM,
Did you read the rules of the Range?
YOUR post was the waste of bandwidth.
This is the first and last warning. One strike is all ANYONE gets here.
Flyer

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have just bursted my own bubble

After looking my 380 over making plans to make my own gun out of silver, it just dawned on me that kel-tecs name is on the plastic handle that I would need to order.
Reguardless if it would be legal with ATF and all those guys, I would run into trademark and patent laws. I am glad this just came to mind before I ordered a bunch of the PMC.
I still plan on making some silver sights though sometime in the near future.
Also I have just found out that they make what is called PMC+, you only have to allow 12% shrinkage instead of 30% shrinkage with the regular PMC and it still comes out .999 silver, and it is the same price.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but I think patent laws only come into affect if you are selling it.... making it for yourself is a bit different.

Also remember, the Hogue name is on the grip sleeve on my KTs, S&W is on the mags I use, and Wolff would be the name on my springs....

I don't think I'd let that be the reason.... but if the silver is softer than the aluminum they use for the frame, that would be a reason, or if there were a BATF problem (not sure never looked into it)....

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I've seen posts on other forums about people who have milled their own receivers and built up guns using parts off the shelf. Apparently the major restriction is that you can't sell it to someone else. There may be others, but that's the big one - you would then be considered a manufacturer.

Best regards, Keys

·
Registered
394 Posts
From Bob's ATF link in the above post:

"...In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF..."

Good luck getting approval.

G

·
wildames:

An NFA firearm is a full auto machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or suppressed; what is typically refered to as "class 3". These items not only require prior approval to own, they require the payment of a tax stamp for an individual to possess: $200 for a machine gun, SBR or SBS, suppressor, and $5 for a class of firearms known as "Any Other Weapon" or AOW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts