Kel-Tec Forum banner

Is abreviated rampectomy okay?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Midiman 
#1 ·
Flyer: In your instructions for performing a rampectomy, you wrote:

Now, carefully blend the cut and surface of the ramp into one smooth, flowing contour. I suggest using a bit of oil on the steel, changing it often as your round things off. Be sure not to alter the angle of the ramp where the bullet actually touches it as it is fed from the mag... this shouldn’t be hard, as the contact point will be well above the cutout.

I got my P-3ATHC, seriial # H7Sxx 2 days ago.

Yesterday, after cleaning the gun, I put 6 rounds of Remington UMC into the clip. I measured the 5th round for length. It measured .09055". I then added the 6th round, inserted the clip, jacked a round into the chamber, and fired it. I then removed the clip, removed the round from the chamber and examined it. It had a nice smiley, and now measured .09000". That indicated that I should do a rampectomy.

My question is: Since the cartridges entering the chamber don't touch the ramp near the cutout, is it really necessary for me to carefully cut and blend the surface of the ramp into one smooth flowing contour? If I can eliminate that step, I also would remove the risk that I could mistakenly alter the angle of the ramp where the bullet actually touches it. Plus it would be much less work. Is this a reasonable idea? I'd appreciate your thoughts on the subject.
Thanks.
Snailmailer

See less See more
#2 ·
Snailmailer,
Sure, I don't see any problem with that.
The contouring is mainly cosmetic, anyhow... it's not like anyone's going to be staring through your ejection port!
Also, it might actually not be a good idea to attempt to make yours that way anyhow, since it's Hard Chrome, and you don't want to take any more of that off than you must.
So.. sounds like a plan to me!
Flyer

#3 ·
ramp mod

I congratulate anyone doing Flyer's ramp mod and experiementing with changes to it. My ramp mod was what I call severe with nearly half the ramp cut off, and it still works.
The setback measurements snailmailer got indicate to me that there still needs to be more work done on the effect of setback due to the smiley. There may a +p+ brand of ammo someday that takes a smack with big enough setback to cause a 'Kaboom'.
Very limitied chrono work over a year ago is all that was ever done. Someone with a chrono and willing to spend some time with a new, unmodified P3AT would sure do a service for all of us.
I know KT reads these posts but it would be a severe marketing blow for them to offer to investigate the problem. So I can understand why they're quiet.

That's also why I still want a P3ATa with slide lock and anti-smiley barrel. That would solve the problem and eliminate any doubt.

og.....still dreaming.

#4 ·
abbreviated rampectomy

Thanks to Flyer for his approval of my idea to keep it simple.
I've been lurking at this site for about a week now, and have learned quite a bit, I believe. Thanks to everyone involved, and keep up the good work.
When I perform my rampectomy, I'll try to take pictures, and report later on the results. Thanks to all.
Snailmailer

#6 ·

I've done this to a couple of barrels now. I clamp the barrel in a vise at about a 45 degree upward angle, tightening on the lug area. If you're uncomfortable about using a dremel (you can cause some serious damage if you're not careful) try using a set of needle files. I did it that way the first time and decided it just took too long.

#7 ·
rampectomy under way

I have filed the lower rear barrel to the point where it appears to look like the pictures I've seen in this forum, and my smilies seem smaller but have not been completely eliminated yet. I'll probably continue filing, but I'm taking my time to think about it. I expect to have pictures when I'm done.
Snailmailer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.