Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At an out of the way gunshop I saw a pair of Star pistols in 9mm, an M30 and a M31, both in excellent shape. I understand that they are among the best of the star series, are good shooters and were issued to the Spanish forces.

Any other info? Value?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Great, great, great pistols!!!
They're brutes... heavy, all-steel construction, very reliable, and quite accurate.
Used ones seem to be going for about $400 or maybe a bit more (or less), depending on condition.
Flyer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cigarman,
I just bought a Star 30 in near new condition in the box with one mag. I will give you a range report once I receive it and have a chance to go to the range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Funny you guys should mention these; I just picked up a Star BM 9mm at the Pinellas Park gunshow last weekend(not that I really needed another handgun, but at under $150.00 it was just too hard to resist).My problem is the manual is in spanish, and my knowledge of same is limited to finding beer, bathrooms, and babes. Can anyone suggest a source for a englsh language version of the manual?
BTW, the balance and feel of this little darlin' are great; hope to get it to the range this weekend.
Thanks in advance
doug

·
Registered
83 Posts
Went to the farm today and fired my Star 30M for the first time and also fired my CZ-75B for the first time. Both of these guns are fantastic. Both fired very tight groups fired off hand at about 10 yards. I would not trade either of these for anything. These are keepers.

Cigarman,
If you haven't done so already I would pick one of these Stars up when you find one at a decent price. The CZ-75B is also a great gun. Fired by CZ-83 today with some new Silver Bear .380 HP ammo. Fired this ammo through the CZ-83 as well as my SMC-380 and a PA-83/AP-9 and the ammo fired without a problem in all three guns.

I am a little worried about my CZ-83. It appears that the barrel is bulged a little about 1/3 of the way up the barrel from the breach end. I can tell it is bulged on the inside as well. The gun fires fine and is very accurate. I wonder if this is normal or if I have a potential problem in the making. If any of you know more about this please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd take it to a gunsmith or contact CZ and see if there is a problem. I can't imagine that a .380 could cause a barrel to bulge under normal conditions. I shot about 100 rounds out of mine yeaterday and see no bulge at all. Maybe ther is a defect in the barrel.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I sent CZ-USA an e-mail tonight. Hopefully they will respond in the next couple days. The gun is out of warranty so it will cost me to repair. May need to get a new barrel. If so I may see about having them install a 9x18 barrel.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
SgtB,

It sounds what may have happened was a short-loaded or no-loaded cartridge was fired -- where the primer force alone was enough for the bullet to exit the cartridge and engage in the rifling of the barrel. A normally loaded cartridge was fired behind the plugged bore -- resulting in the bulge due to increased pressure in the barrel as the normally fired round traveled in behind the plugged bore.

Actually, you are fortunate that the barrel did not fracture. At any rate, the bulge has weakened the barrel and it should be replaced.

Do you remember hearing any different or odd retort during a firing session? Have you been using reloads or remanufactured ammo? Short-loads have occurred with new factory ammo, but not as frequently as remanufactured or reloads.

Regards.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info. What you have stated makes sense but I don't remember it happening to me. I have only fired maybe 150 rounds through this gun. I believe maybe the last owner had a problem and that could be why I was able to pick it up so cheap. I quess I will have to package it up and send it off to CZ. Thanks for the help. I am very glad nothing happened as my wife fired it yesterday as well. You can obviously never be too careful.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the cz-83 forum they commented that a new 9mm mak barrel is something like 80-90 bucks. It probably would be cheaper to buy the barrel and then have it replaced rather than sending it back, unless they cover part of it on warranty (or as a goodwill gesture).

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will let you know what I find out. I am talking back and forth with the guy at CZ right now. I think he wants a picture to look at because he said a bulge would cause the slide to lock up which is not happening.

·
Registered
83 Posts
CZ wrote me back and stated it sounds like a "ring bulge" and that as long as it does not interfer with the slide it should be fine and not effect accuracy. Replacement will cost $ 150.00. I think I will sit on this one for a while. If I pay for the new barrel I will be in to this gun for more than it is worth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts