Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile ago the Amercan Shooter TV program had a segment on an indoor bullet trap that a person could use at home(basement,shop,etc.). I wasn't able to get the manufacturer name and couldn't find anything on the American Shooter website. Did anyone see this or have any info on it?
Also has anyone tried to make one? Could it be made safely? How much noise(P-3AT,P-11) would go though a 6 in. insulated wall?(don't want to P/O any neighbors)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, you can make bullet traps.
If you're going to use it for anything larger than .22, it should be of 3/8 inch steel plate, and anything over 9mm 1/2 inch.
I'll be danged if I can remember offhand where there are posted instructions... although it'd most likely be a project for a local welder.
As for noise, well... you neighbors are GONNA notice anything over a faint pop and probably call the cops!
I KNOW this to be true. :?
Use in the basement and close all the doors and insulate the windows, maybe???
Bullet traps aren't really that expensive... try www.cabelas.com and check. They usually have several varieties.
Flyer

G

·
itsacjthing said:
Awhile ago the Amercan Shooter TV program had a segment on an indoor bullet trap that a person could use at home(basement,shop,etc.).
And all this time I thought it was a TV, the dresser, the couch, office furniture......

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Home bullet trap or not, aren't you still in violation of city ordinances about discharging firearms, if they apply in your city of course?

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:

KeysBear said:
Home bullet trap or not, aren't you still in violation of city ordinances about discharging firearms, if they apply in your city of course?
Yeeaah--I guess, if my home is in my city--silly me. Actually, I'm outside the city limits and if I remember right you can't discharge a weapon within 600 feet of an occupied dwelling...so would my dwelling have to be un-occupied?

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
So, Flyer,
Your official comment is "no comment" then.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

itsacjthing said:
Yeeaah--I guess, if my home is in my city--silly me. Actually, I'm outside the city limits and if I remember right you can't discharge a weapon within 600 feet of an occupied dwelling...so would my dwelling have to be un-occupied?
That's a good one - you'll have to stand outside and pull a string to pull the trigger.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keysbear-I'm glad you got it, it was late and I'm not that great with humor!!
I have to check with the local Law Enforcement-Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,692 Posts
PGL

That's an interesting piece of work. I have a Ruger Mark II 22/45 myself, and the only visible difference in his pic is the seam around the barrel (and two screw on bottom) in front of the trigger guard. The rest of the pistol looks the same. Just what all did he modify?

·
Registered
321 Posts
It is an internally suppressed barrel. There are a lot of guys out there that do this kind of work. they could probably do it on your ruger.

--PGL

·
Registered
167 Posts
I shoot these all the time in the house:

Aguila .22lr Super Colibri

Brand New, Aguila Commercial, POWDERLESS .22lr. Super fun to shoot! Uses Primer to shoot! 20grn.

I use a .22 trap at 25', the bullet hitting the trap makes more noise than the pistol going off. It is good practice for bullseye shooting. I use a S&W 617, I would not use them in a rifle. It's basically a squib load and will get stuck in the barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
Norfdet,

Given your avatar, I would have thought you would recommend your thigh as an appropriate indoor bullet stop. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts