Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I just found this board today I am the very proud owner of a keltec .380 or P3AT as it officaly called and I have to say its a kewl ass little gun. :lol: I put about 180 rounds through her today of fmj magtech ammo with no failures of any kind except one stove pipe that was due to my limp wristing the gun (that thing hurts after a while :( ) Anyways would you guys put any more ammo through it or would you carry it as is? I only plan on shooting this gun enough to know it works %100 and it will be a carry alot shoot a little gun. that being said if you think I should put more ammo though it how much? Also would you stick to one brand of fnj ammo or does it mater with these guns? I figure ball ammo is ball ammo right? As a side note the gun did jam on the hydra shocks I tried in it but this dosen't concern me as stated below I plan on using on fmj ammo in it with which it performed flawlessly.

I plan on using fmj ammo only as I don't like HP's comming out of such a short barrel for the .380 round. I also am wondering if there is a grip extention to allow me to get a better grip on this little gun I have small hands,long skinny fingers so I just need a bit something more to hang on to. If there is an extention does it add an extra round,if so do I need a new mag spring?

My gun has a serial number of: H2C** I don't know if the means anything or not,I also diddn't have any trouble with the "pin walkout" I've seen discussed on other forums. I guess this applies to the assembely pin coming out? Mine clicks in firmly after reassembling the gun. I don't know what P3At's this refers to but just thought I'd mention it. Thanks for any help and advice you can give me on this great little gun.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Personally, I'd give hollowpoints another thought...
Any trouble with feeding should be cleaned up by polishing the feed ramp, and Cor-Bon JHPs will almost CERTAINLY have more stopping power than FMJ.
Flyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flyer is my P3AT suposed to feed hollow points,being its a defensive pistol I mean? I hope its ok is this an issue if i only use fmj ammo for practice/defenseive purposes anyways?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
megatron,
Oh yeah, it's supposed to feed hollowpoints... INTENDED to feel hollowpoints!
I like Speer Gold Dot, Hydra-Shoks, and Cor-Bon. They should chamber and feed perfectly with just minimal polishing of the feed ramp.
Personally, I would't CARRY a .380 if it weren't for hollow points!
Flyer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks flyer I was begining to thik I had a lemon for a minute :D thanks again.

G

·
I've put 290 rounds through mine now without a single failure of any kind with all types of ammo. I've used hollow points and round ball from 88 Gr, 90 Gr to 95 Gr. I've reloaded my own rounds to about every length in between the min. and max. overall lengths called out in the reloading manuals and not had a single failure to feed or eject. I've even tried to limp wrist it to get it to jam and it didn't and on top of that I accidentally got my thumb on my off hand in the way of the slide when shooting from a rest on the shooting bench and it still worked great even while taking part of my thumb nail and meat along with it which didn't slow it down one bit. I have now pretty much retired it to carry only after today's trip to the range where I put 50 more rounds through it while looking for smileys imprinted on the end of the bullets which I've decided are not worth worrying about. Good luck to you. If I were you I'd probably want to find out why mine didn't want to feed hollow points before I retired it to my pocket. I want mine to shoot whatever I put in it which it does.

Rook

·
Registered
467 Posts
Your gun is ready for carry!

If you put 180 rounds through your gun with no problems with the ammo that you are going to carry in it, it works...
I have put 110 rounds through mine and will never practice with it again unless somekind of new super hollow point comes out on the market. I used to love the Hydra-Shok in my 380 but was getting lite strikes on the primers, I had no problems with them feeding though, I still use Hydra-Shok in my P-11, but I have changed to PMC hollow point in my 380 because I have better hits on the primer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys so far for your help The guy at my local shop said that his p3at as well as his friends wont feed hydrashock but they both feed remington goldensabers just fine. I suspect this is due to the fact the the goldensaber round is more ball shaped then the hydrashocks with are flat and blunt at the end,therefore they feed better because they are shaped more like fmj ammo. This is the same reason I think alot of milspec type 1911's i.e. no polishing or throating done to the feedramp will feed these hp's.

That being said I know thw p3at isn't a 1911(nothing else is really) :D But its the same thing happening here I think. I've read about people on other forums having to polish thair p3at's feedramp slighty to get jhp's to feed properly I think this is whats happening with mine. that being said I will try it with some goldensabers this week and let you know how it goes,but do any of you think the gun needs to be send back to keltec or anything? I only ask as if its suposed to feed jhp's and it wont maybe there is something out of wack here? I also guess I should try other brands of jhp's as stated above to see if maybe its the one particular round the gun don't like. All in all I will only use fmj ammo in this gun anyways but wanted some thought s on this from the more experianced kter's here thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts