Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need someone with a scale to measure out for me (8) 9mm 147grHP's and post the weight in grams and then weigh (16) 9mm 147grHP's and post the weight in grams also. My department is considering the 3953 Smith and Wesson 9mm for us Detective's.....FINALLY. As a range instructor I need to sell the weight issue as one of the selling points. I'll have to use the posted weight of the firearm from the Smith and Wesson web site and then add the ammo. Currently all that is issued is the 5946 DAO and this is a bit LARGE for daily carry under a suit. If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it......Thank You..

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I have a few boxes of Winchester Super-X silver tip 147gr JHPs at home but I'm not clear on what you need... and I'm not clear on why you need it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend 147gr 9mm for a pistol... carbines are a different story. You want the weight of the entire round? Actually, come to think of it, my scale only weighs grains and 16 full rounds will exceed its capacity. If you need to sell weight as an "issue" why pick the heaviest bullet? In pistols, 147s tend to have less velocity out of the gate and lose velocity much faster which can affect proper expansion.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
147gr's are not my idea, but like a great many things with my Department they like them for some reason so I am currently stuck. The issue is the TOTAL weight of each of the guns. I can use the weight that is posted on the website but I need the total weight of 8 and 16 rounds so that I can add these to the gun's weight. It is an unusual request but it factors into the BIG PICTURE!

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.....let's hope this works. The weight of the 3953 (per the Smith and Wesson site) is 24.8oz empty and the weight of the 5646, empty is 38.3...so the approximate total of each should be

3953 = 28.6oz

5946 = 46.50oz

Of course the 5946 is all steel and the 3953 is aluminum alloy and steel.

As far as the 146 grainers, most officers on the department would tell you that we would rather have a .40 cal or a better 9mm round. We are looking at switching to something in the 124gr area and maybe a +p loading. The problem that in most of our shotings with the 147gr (and a subsonic at that) we stop the agression in 1-3 rounds and in some cases the agression has been stopped permanently. Hard to justify getting something better when what you have keeps working just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts