Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, well I don't need a new knife, but I certainly want one. I have my eye on a SOG Flash II assisted opening knife, but they were out of stock when I went to look at it today. :( Anyone own one, or have any experience with SOG?

I had also considered a Kershaw, but I didn't really like the feel of it in the store. I may consider a Spyderco or a CRKT if I find one that I like. Any suggestions?

The use probably won't be self defense -- that's why I have a gun! But I also don't want to ruin my new knife (like I have my Gerber) by cutting boxes, rope, etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've heard that Kershaws don't hold an edge so well. What's wrong with your Gerber?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a Kershaw Whirlwind 1550ST and love it. It's my constant companion and it gets used a lot. As for holding an edge, I dragged it across a diamond stone a few times last night for the first time in over a month. As I said I use it constantly. It's like an automatic without the legal issues.

I'm a happy camper. :D

Allan

·
Registered
192 Posts
Last knife I bought was a Berretta. It has gorgeous stag grips and three blades. The primary can be opened with one hand.

I feel like I got the stag for free, the knife was less than a hundred bucks. Stag handgun grips cost $200 or so by themselves these days.

Its really a hunter with a bone saw and a 3rd blade with a blunt tip for deer gutting so you don't poke the guts cutting the rib cage.
Its a heavy chunk of steel that is a weapon even closed. It goes in my pocket at all times.

Check out the Benchmade line personally.
They are easy to fall for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re:

angebar said:
I've heard that Kershaws don't hold an edge so well. What's wrong with your Gerber?
Nothing is wrong with it, I just want something different to add to my collection. :D

G

·
How about Microtech....they have and hold the best edge of all the knives that I own. I recently bought a Protec Godfather, it's what the stiletto always wanted to be. It's an expensive auto opener but what a beauty.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So many knives -- so little time and money!!!

The Kershaw's seem to be good dollar value for assisted opening. I've got a couple and they hold edge fairly well. The mid-size one (Scallion, I think) is small enough without the clip for easy pocket carry and is fairly innocent looking. It's pretty small for a defensive knife, but it carries OK in dress slacks, so it's better than the little bitty Swiss Army (tho they have great scissors!).

BIGIRON

1 - 9 of 9 Posts