Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down today and put a SUB/glock 17 on layaway. I will pick it up on the 20th. HOT DANG :sniper0:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is half as much fun as the Hi-Point carbine a friend of mine has, it will be great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Midi

When I get it I plan on running 200 rounds of FMJ thru it, just to break it in and then try some of the rounds that have been talked about around here.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Mike said:
Thanks Midi

When I get it I plan on running 200 rounds of FMJ thru it, just to break it in and then try some of the rounds that have been talked about around here.
I wouldn't just go blast 200 rounds thru it to "break it in"... you will just foul the rifling within the first dozen or so and the remaining 188 will do nothing to help the break in. Do a proper bore break in on the thing. The resulting improvement in accuracy will be worth the tedium of the break in procedure.

Shooting 200 rounds before the first cleaning IS the proper break in procedure for a chrome lined bore and chamber... but the Kel-Tec bores are not and tend to be a good deal rougher than most.

Lots of shards of metal sticking up all over the place in the bore will become coated by the copper jacketing of the first couple of bullets, which will protect those shards from being worn down and smoothed out by further firings.

Shoot 1 round and clean the bore 10 times.
Shoot 3 rounds and clean the bore 5 times.
Shoot 5 rounds and clean the bore 5 times.

The use of a little JB Compound during several of the bore cleanings will help as well... but I'd wait till the later stages... use a proper jag... not some patch sloted post. Every time you clean the bore.. I mean REALLY clean it... don't just run a patch down it and proceed to the next stage.

Might take two range sessions to get through it all... It can be done in one long one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Midi

Thanks again, advise well taken. My range is down by the barn, so one trip should do it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Do the SUBs have chrome-lined barrels? If so, is all that cleaning necessary? Learning, thanks.
Tc, Cheryl

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

CherylT said:
Do the SUBs have chrome-lined barrels? If so, is all that cleaning necessary? Learning, thanks.
Tc, Cheryl
"Shooting 200 rounds before the first cleaning IS the proper break in procedure for a chrome lined bore and chamber... but the Kel-Tec bores are not and tend to be a good deal rougher than most. "

·
Registered
420 Posts
I see. I didn’t know if the SUB was or was not lined and I wasn‘t able to find it on the KT site. I did have a link in here that went over the breaking in of rifles with and without Chrome-lining. Unfortunately, I didn’t save it.
Thanks guys.
Tc, Cheryl
:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

CherylT said:
I see. I didn’t know if the SUB was or was not lined and I wasn‘t able to find it on the KT site. I did have a link in here that went over the breaking in of rifles with and without Chrome-lining. Unfortunately, I didn’t save it.
Thanks guys.
Tc, Cheryl
:wink:
Possible subject for a new article on our home page... I don't think I've contributed any yet... :soapbox:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Slightly off subject, but, hey, it's all in the family...

Do the SU-16's have chrome-lined barrels? or would you go with the same:
Shoot 5 rounds and clean the bore 5 times. ????

by the way Mike, My SU-16's on lay-a-way too... but it looks like I'll be laying-a-way a bit longer... (I put an SKS on lay-a-way at the same time..) :wink:

-ebigfish

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Same bore break in for the SUs as for the SUBs. If a manufacturer doesn't explicitly state their bores are chrome lined you can be 100% certain they are not. If they were, the manufacturer would be crowing from the roof about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Flyer...

I guess it'l be
Shoot 5 rounds and clean the bore 5 times.

still fishing for Wisdom-
-fish

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
"GIVE a man a fish and you feed him for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll sit out in a boat all day and drink beer and shoot the crap outa the crap that floats by."
ebigfish,
Did you ever see the movie "Secondhand Lions" with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine?
It complements your sig line quite nicely... 8)
Flyer

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, Flyer, I haven't.... I'll have to check it out. It dosen't sound like a chick-flic, and that's good. My wife and daughter went to visit her folks on a 4 day weekend, so this might be a good time to watch it....

I'm always fishing for a good movie.... :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.