Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the inevitable happened and I broke my extractor on my llama minimax .45. Nobody here in my hometown could find a extractor through any of there distributors. I called up SGS Importers who bring the Llama's and the Bersa's in and they sent me 2!! One for just I break it again and a little note saying sorry, but here's a 2nd one for a spare.

Anybody got any ideas on the 1911 styles to change it?? If not Im going to have one of the local smiths do it and a polish job at the same time. I would do the polish job myself but Im not sure how much metal to remove.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'm not at all familar with the newer Llama pistols of the 1911 style... is the extractor the internal type of the 1911, or is it external, like the Browning Hi-Power?
If it's a standard 1911 type, the extractor is changed by removing the firing pin plate, firing pin and spring, and pulling the extractor to the rear and replacing with the new one...
However, I'm pretty sure the new Llamas have the internal extractor. It's not likely a difficult process... you should have a single roll pin to punch out, and an accompanying spring.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a punch (1/16 and 3/32.) and a rubber mallet.
I think Im going to let the smith show me how to pop it out Monday. He told me he wouldnt charge me anything to change the extractor, and $30 to do the polish job on it.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, sounds like a good deal... shows you how it's done so you can do it yourself in the future.
I've got a Llama .380 "Especialle" from 1943. It's internally identical to the 1911, right down to the sear, extractor, and mag release... if I completely detail stripped it and took a pic you'd not know it wasn't full-sized if I didn't tellya!
Flyer

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its pretty close to the Colt Defender and some of the other models. The mini-max is a clone of the defender model.
Some of the parts are interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well took the minimax to the smith on Monday, It took about maybe 4 minutes for him to change it out. If it have been that easy to change out I would have tapped it myself. He also tighten the trigger a little bit. I was thinking about when he does the polish job to go ahead and tune the gun to make it shoot great. I know it will never be match grade, but with a 45, and not competition shooting thats not a big deal. It has to sucessfully fire as many shots as it takes to drop the bad guy, whether it be 1 or 10 or even a second clip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.