Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long ago I purchased the kel-tec 380 auto and fell in love with it even more after shooting it and finding out how reliable it is. This then inspired me to go out and purchase one of the P-11 after seeing a picture of it in the package Kel-Tec sent to me with the belt clip I ordered. The P-11 works great! eats Hydra-Shok 147gr. with no problem, I paid $189 for this gun brand new!, I would have paid $270 for it if I would have had too!, in fact that was what I was expecting to pay. I really got lucky! I donot know if the store priced it wrong or what?. I am having a little problem with the magizine though, after I put the 8th round in, it rattles! I took the magizine apart and turned the spring around and this helped some! half the time it rattles and half the time it don!t. I called Kel-Tec they said they have heard of this problem before and that it will not effect reliabilty, they said they will send me a new follower and spring and that should take care of matters!, but I still donot see what is causing it to rattle. The MAJOR problem I am having with the P-11 is that I cannot make up my mind if I love the 380 better or the P-11 better!, The 380 is smaller and lighter and fits in my hand better, But holds less ammo and is weaker then the 9mm. The P-11 holds more, is more powerfull, not a whole lot bigger then the 380 and has a heavier triger pull that I like. I guess since I have no choice but to pick one, and since I use the gun for personal defence I will have to go with the P-11, and save the 380 for times that I feel less likely to get attacked!. But when you feel less likely to being attacked is probably when you would be attacked. Can anyone else relate??

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
That's horrible!
Your magazine rattles!
We don' need no steenkin' rattlin' magazeens... :D
Seriously and believe it or not, this has been a MAJOR ISSUE with some users. The fact of the matter is that it's going to be practically IMPOSSIBLE to make a magazine for a SMALL double-stack 9mm not rattle.
The 9mm is a tapered round; doesn't stack evenly, and the bullet end is ALWAYS gonna be smaller that the rear end. It's gonna rattle unless that's one STRONG mag spring, and if it is, it had better be used in a full-sized battle pistol like a Glock or Beretta.
Concealed Carry: Looks like we're gonna have it soon in Ohio! Actually, when that happens it's gonna be a 1911 in my waistband and a P-3AT in it's pocket holster. I'll save the P-11 for extremely hot days when the 1911 would be practically impossible to carry, and the P-3AT, of course, can go anywhere, anytime!
Flyer

·
Registered
205 Posts
it is not just a problem with KT's... I use S&W mags and they rattle... But not any louder than my keys, so I don't even notice (never knew until someon mentioned it on the board and I checked mine).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Two of my three magazines have a rattle after the 10th round is put in. But, since I don't plan on sneaking up on anyone with the P-11, I just let them rattle away....(I can't hear the rattle when it's going BANG, anyway). :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
There's a couple of easy fixes for the rattle. Both should be in the KTOG archives (can I say KTOG here?).

The follower fix worked just fine on one of mine. Since I'm not sneakin' and peekin' in the bush, I just let the others rattle.

BIGIRON

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did try the follower fix on one mag, but did not put a lot of time or effort into it, and did not get the rattles to stop...

I was actually thinking about making a cut away mag for illustrating and finding an answer to this, but have not sacrificed the mag just yet....

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
rattling mags

my mags rattle too. but only when they're loaded to less than capacity. 10 rds no rattle, 9 or less rattle. bought S&W 12 rnd. mag. installed 10%+ wolff spring, guess what, it rattles with less than 12 rnds. in it. i don't feel that it's really a problem. i don't believe that anyone is going to grab me, put their ear next to my fly, and say "is that your mag rattling?" i keep all of them loaded to the gills and if the situation ever arises when i have to touch one off i don't think the resultant rattle will be a major concern. :lol:

·
Registered
285 Posts
My overly engineered and unnecessarily complex fix for mag rattles:

Load 5 rounds

Seat the rounds by slapping the back of the mag into the palm of your hand

Load remaining rounds

Seat the rounds by slapping the back of the mag into the palm of your hand

All of my mags rattle if I don't do this. None of them rattle when I do this.

However, this fix has absolutely no potential for a Dremel tool, which kinda makes me sad.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Speaking of Dremel tools, anyone know the best way to get jeweler's rouge off a pine dining room table? :shock: A solution is needed rather quickly, in the interest of matrimonial harmony. :roll:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
ddflorida,
Don't wince:
Lighter fluid.
Honest! Try some lighter fluid on a small cleaning patch. I clean all kinds of stuff off my mother's antique furniture and other cherished heirlooms this way...
I ain't been kicked outta the will yet!
Flyer
P.S. (I don't think, anyway...!?!?)
F.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks, Flyer. I'll try it. You may be responsible for my salvation. :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mean the rattle in my magizine is loud!

I am just writing again to better explain myself by what I mean by my magizine is rattling. It sounds exactly like the bullets are loaded in the magizine without any spring being in the magizine at all! ( it is loud ) This makes the gun sound like a piece of cheap junk!, It is a very good gun and I expect it to live up to that... I did however take the magizine apart and turn the spring around so that the higher part of the spring is hitting the back part of the follower instead of the front part of the follower , by looking at the spring you would think that it just makes sence that the higher part of the spring should be in the front part of the follower, but that must not be the case because since I turned the spring around I have slaped and banged around on the gun and their is no more rattles!. I have noticed that a lot of people do not care that their magizine rattles by what I have read. Let me ask the people that do not care if their magizine rattles this!!, If you would go out and buy a brand new car and the car door squeaked a little would you just think to yourself that this is just a minor problem no big deal!, or would you take it back to the dealer??

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I sympathize with your problem and hope you find a solution... however, I would not categorize a rattling magazine or a squeeky door as a MAJOR problem. Brakes failing, blown head gasket... THAT'S a major problem. Squeeky door? Minor annoyance that I would probably attempt to have fixed but it wouldn't be at the top of my priority list.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
rattlers

my p11 goes BANG, not rattle BANG. have you tried any of the "fixes" listed here? i think FUNCTION IS PARAMOUNT, not perceived sound. give it a go you'll love ot! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to give up carry of my P-11 in an ankle holster due to how much the magazine rattled. It was more than loud enough for people to wonder what that noise was down there.

I don't know where the play is but I would guess front to back with the OAL of the round being a factor. You may want to try a different type of ammo and see if it makes a difference. Stronger springs?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
rattle

does the mag rattle when loaded to capacity?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: rattle

byron said:
does the mag rattle when loaded to capacity?
Is there another way to carry? :D

If I get a chance I am going to fiddle around with some different ammo and see if I can figure out the rattle thing. If it has anything to do with cartridge lenght then maybe something like a "Flyer wire" will cure it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
rattle

on the 3at forum old grandpa made mention of the fact that mec-gar painted the inside of the mags with a paint that resulted in a slippery, friction free surface. he felt that this contributed to the round sliding forward and impacting the bottom of the ramp during recoil, resulting in smilies. he went so far as removing the paint and indenting the top of his mag on the sides to restrict the movement of the top round. i don't think the indenting is feasible on the p11 mags as i believe the whole column moves. at least it does on both of my kt mags. however this occurs only when there is less than max capacity. i have the standard kt springs in them. my S&W mag. has a wolff 10%+ in it. if i have it out of the gun and less than max it rattles. in the gun the top round is pressed up against the slide and never rattles regardless of the number remaining in the mag. i am sure the whole column moves as if i hold the mag in my hand and simply move it fore and aft i can feel it. another factor is the length of the round. the rattle isn't as pronounced with solids as it is with hollowpoints. i think the only cure is the insertion of a shim, full length, either in the front or back of the mag. don't ask me about thickness! a hard poly of some sort because of it's self lubricating qualities. i have other people tell me of noisy mags regardless of the mfg. of the gun. i'm picking up a mak next week. i will be sure to check if this phenomenen occurs. the mags in my 1911 nra purchased .45 don't rattle and the springs and mags are at least 50 yrs old. as i said it really hasn't been a source of great concern to me. of course a picture out of plumb drives me crazy when other people never notice it. i'm constantly straightening any number of things in my kids houses. i think i was born with a level above my eyes instead of sinus cavities!
i have a plastic mfg close to my house. i'll take a mag up there and see if they can come up with anything. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mag rattle

I took someones advise-suggestion to the mag rattle problem to turn the mag spring around and it worked ! Before it would rattle after the 7th round, now no rattle at all no matter how many rounds are in it. THANKS! :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts