Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received some P-11 followers from Kel-Tec today for testing in the P-40 mags. I've changed out two of them already, loaded the mags with Win Value rounds and already noticed a big difference in feeding. In the past I've had a lot of trouble with releasing the slide lock to strip off the first round from the mag. It so rarely worked that I got into a habit of not loading the first round from a locked slide position.
With the P-11 follower installed it strips the first round off cleanly when the slide is released from a locked position. I will give some range results early next week.
Note: Even with the +1 extension I'm only getting 8 round capacity using the P-11 follower.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
:oops: Got the same result here Keys. Um I guess I forgot your followers huh? Sorry.

BTW I have the 40 mag running 100% from slide lock at 9 rounds. Running straight p-11 followers allowed only 7 rounds while many modified followers just barely allowed 8 rounds. I will send the best modified follower and the 40 mag this week. This follower allowed 8 rounds to feed 100% but would not allow #9 due to the angle of the round engaging the #8 round in such a way to cause rim lock. The rounds are in a V configuration and this causes #9 to dip face down and lock the slide. This phenomena is caused by the tight lip to lip space at the rear of the mag. With this gap enlarged the rounds stay at the same angle and feed beautify. Problem is you have to modify this gap by file or heat. I used heat and special pliers. This made a slight crack at the rear but it is a cosmetic issue.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, I guess I am getting some benefit from the +1 extension after all since I'm getting 8 rounds from an unmodified P-11 follower. I don't mind the 8 rounds at all. If I'm packing 8+1 and need more ammo at that point I'm in heap big doodoo anyway. I keep an extra mag handy just in case. I hope I will get the best feeding combination out of his setup.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
Ok then here is a twist I have not yet figured out. I can get 8 rounds in my stock P-11 mags!!!!!!!!!
That one I know. Switch the P-40 mag spring for a P-11 spring, and I believe you will find the answer.

Regards, Keys 8)

G

·
Re:

KeysBear said:
Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
Ok then here is a twist I have not yet figured out. I can get 8 rounds in my stock P-11 mags!!!!!!!!!
That one I know. Switch the P-40 mag spring for a P-11 spring, and I believe you will find the answer.

Regards, Keys 8)
You should have thrown Grasshopper on the end of that quote Keys....

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re:

norfdet893 said:
KeysBear said:
Gun_Nut_2k1 said:

Regards, Keys 8)
You should have thrown Grasshopper on the end of that quote Keys....
Grasshopper, snatch the ammo from my hand.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gun Nut did some mod work on one of my P-40 mags to try to improve feeding.

You can see two small cuts made in the back of the mag to allow the feed lips to be bent wider.

I got a chance to hit the range today with it and fired 40 rounds of Win Value. Twice I had feeding failures on the last round in the mag.

Then I tried two P-40 mags with P-11 followers. I fired 40 rounds through each with no failures.

My search for the best P-40 mag is still in progress. For now I'm carrying the 8 round capacity P-40 mags with P-11 followers.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
That's not good. I did not have the last round feed problem. I ran two mag full thru my gun. Did it Nose dive like it was before? Would it do it with 8 rounds? I recall it was not feeding the first round with a full mag before? If you like I will replace the mag.

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gun_Nut_2k1,
Hey, it makes a good practice mag - no worries. I've got three carry mags that work, and this one might be fine with a P-11 follower. I'm not sure what the problem was, but the last round jammed with the slide partially back. Both times I bumped the slide and it cycled.
I think the tolerances are so small that this mag probably works well in your pistol, but not in mine. Last round feeding problems are common enough with P-40's.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Keysbear- Those twin cuts may solve one problem but it may create another one. I had an unmodified P-11 mag I was using with both my P-11 and my P-40 conversion which developed a similar pair of cracks all on its own. While it didn't seem to effect feeding for the .40 cal, when I used that mag for 9mm the mag lips were loose enough so that the gun would eject a live round straight up and out of the gun - as it ejected the spent casing- and still feed the next round. ( Strong spring!) Finding I was short a round and then finding that live round on the ground drove me crazy until I realized what was happening. Once I figured it out, Kel-Tec replaced the mag , and I bought a 40 cal mag.

Ref using P-11 springs and follower in a P-40 mag. I recently - post ban- did this with my one .40 mag for better feeding of .40 cal. Turns out that mag will now hold 11 rounds of 9mm and feeds reliably. It shouldn't since the mag is the same size as the P-11 mag , but it does. Anyone else have this experience?

Regards-conwic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts