Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. If I buy a P-32, I'm gonna shoot it just about every chance I get. Rest assured it won't be a safe queen, but I'm a little bit, well, squeamish on the durability. After all, it is a concealed carry gun, not really a target pistol. Post some high round counts and any problems you've had to make me feel better :mrgreen:
(oh yeah and they have to be real round counts :wink:)

G

·
i bought mine used but i have probably 200-300 rounds through mine and haven't had any problems. the previous owner probably had maybe 200 rounds or so through it. just remember that no matter the round count, any problems that you encounter will be fixed by Kel-Tec.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Bought mine quite used (blued) - round count unknown. Put about 500 rounds through it. The slide cracked. I sent in in and they sent back a mostly new gun with the old serial number. After 100 rounds, the assembly pin/magazine release spring worked loose. Removed frame, heated grip with hair dryer and bent inward to hold the spring in place. Took 15 minutes - worked great. 400 rounds later, no other issues. Pull trigger - goes bang! - every time...

G

·
Hey TX not trying to flame you here but if you had to go to the extreme of heating you P32 with a hair dryer, why not send it back to KT and have them replace the grip? For me it would be a non issue, I would have packaged it up and shipped it back to KT. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The spring thing happened when I pulled the assembly pin. The spring got out of position and the grip bowed out a little. That made it easier for the spring to work loose. Flyer tipped me off to the very easy fix. I had just gotten it back from KT for the cracked slide and didn't want to be without it for another month, not to mention the hassle of shipping. It was a really easy fix, took only a few minutes, and has been flawless since. I don't mind a little tinkering. Not worth sending in IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bulbman -

See my previous post concerning the issues I have had with my P-32. Although I like my P-32, I think I will probably replace it with another gun for carry. KT does have good customer service, but if you have to keep contacting them to send parts for an inoperable gun, what does that really accomplish? To me, a gun like mine that has had two malfuntions that left if unable to fire with only 700 rounds thru it is not a reliable carry gun.

I think KT has the right idea with their product line, but they need to tighten up their QC and/or review their designs to inprove reliability.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I saw that post, thats what sparked me to ask. If they have those issues worked out in the newer guns though, I would be OK with that.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
That's what the situation is... the P-32 is now pretty much problem-free.
EVERY pistol goes through an initial de-bugging period. But, if you get a P-32 with a serial # beginning with a letter prefix, you'll likely have a completely dependable pistol out of the box.
Flyer

·
Registered
28 Posts
P-32 Reliability?

1010 rds thru mine (I tally my spent boxes after every range session for all my weapons :shock: ). Yeah, that number surprised me.

Of those, 90 of them are Cor-Bon, the rest a mix Win-Whitebox,Hydra-Shoks and some reloads. Got 100 rds of UMC ready to go through it tommorrow and currently carry H/S as the SD round.

ZERO....nada...NO problems. No FTE/no rimlock/no FTF - not even my G19 is that reliable (admittedly, the P-32 does get a thorough cleaning after every range session, never sits around dirty).

But I am curious as to what the upper limit of rounds fired will likley be when I can expect some problems.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
bulbie owes us a comparison.....

bulbie,
I'm a sissy when it comes to doing endurance tests on my handguns. Only my Beretta 87T target pistol gets 100's of rounds thru it each range session. My other stuff gets function tested and used for my wetpack tests then put in defensive position either CCW or home location. The only centerfire I use once or twice a year for target competition is my Springfield 1911 .45. Maybe 300 rounds thru it so far is all.
With the P32 I can't help your round count. My first one only about 150 rounds, my new one with the "C" prefix serial, less than 100 so far. For me, these are pocket guns not target pistols.

But, you owe us a range comparison with your Beretta Tomcat. So I hope you'll be getting a P32 real soon and compare it with your Tomcat, recoil, accuracy, etc. You won't be sorry! Be waiting for your range report!

Cheers,
og

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well for a little while at least, were not gonna get any range comparison with the Tomcat cause IT BROKE!!!! :x (luckily its still under warranty, and btw og, if you havent sent in the registration or done it online, you should, gives you 2 more years of coverage)
Was shooting it today and the trigger transfer bar sorta jumped out at the front and jammed up the whole works, trigger was still stuck in the rear position. Fixed it, but it did it again so I just shot the storm and single six for a while, then went bug hunting with some .22 shotshells 8)
Gonna give beretta a call on tuesday and see what's up; I don't get it, cause that transfer bar should be held in by a notch in the slide up front.

I'm gonna go look at it some more now, then get back to changing the axles on the cabriolet. *sigh*
my work is never done.

G

·
Re:

Bulbman said:
luckily its still under warranty, and btw og, if you havent sent in the registration or done it online, you should, gives you 2 more years of coverage
Isn't it comforting to know that with Kel-Tec this is not a problem :!:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
That's a bizzare malfunction, I've never seen it with any of the small Berettas...
I'll dig mine out and try to replicate it, see what's going on.
Flyer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re:

norfdet said:
Hey TX not trying to flame you here but if you had to go to the extreme of heating you P32 with a hair dryer, why not send it back to KT and have them replace the grip? For me it would be a non issue, I would have packaged it up and shipped it back to KT. Just curious.
I also had a slide lock spring problem on my P-32 . I did the hair dryer fix on the slide lock and the trigger bar side of the grip . I was not having any problems on the trigger bar side but there was a slight gap there as well . Took about 15 minutes , now both sides of the grip fit tight against the frame . Much easier to do than sending the gun back to Kel-tec , plus I like learning about the internal workings of my guns . As a precautionary measure I now pinch the grip with my thumb and index finger in front of the assembly pin while pulling the pin out . As for the original subject of this thread I only have about 250 rounds through my P-32 , after the slide lock problem was fixed if I keep it clean and lubed the only problem I have encountered was a rare jam on the first fired round with a full magazine . I attribute this to the tension of a new magazine spring . I have since been carrying 5+1 , I know this is limiting myself but I feel it makes the gun more reliable . All this being said this gun for it's size and weight is the only game in town , I can put it in a pocket holster or an IWB holster with only shorts and a t-shirt and nobody is the wiser . I am confident and comfortable carrying my P-32 .

G

·
I see your point and everyone has their own comfort level. I guess since mine rides with me as a BUG while working, I need a higher comfort level than most. If it works, great. I know that I am not that mechanically inclined to rework something like that. I am a glock armorer and most of the time if a part is broken or something is out of speck, it is completely replaced.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The polymer frame of a Glock's an entirely different story... even if the frame were to warp slightly, it'd STILL work okay because the four steel inserts would still engage the slide slots.
I suspect that ALL polymer frames go through occasional warps and twists - it's just the nature of the beast.
In the case of the KT pistols, you can squeeze the sides together enough so that even allowing for a bit of future warping, it'll STILL remain tight against the frame.
I consider this an IMPROVEMENT on the way the guns come from the factory, to the extent that I do it to ALL my KTs, before shooting them for the first time.
Flyer

G

·
I agree and I wasn't comparing the two I was only stating that with any pistol (and I simply used the Glock) that the comfort lever for me is, if anything is out of speck than it is replaced with as close to factory original as possible. I imagine that if you did warp a Glock frame that the warping would be the least of your worries... :D

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep, I love my Glocks, wasn't putting them down... I've got my G-30 on my hip right now.
I remember seeing a video shot at high speed, showing the Glock frame "flexing" big-time as it cycled, but I don't remember where.. this partially explains why Glocks have less perceived recoil.
Flyer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have fired thousands of rounds in P32. It is north of 5,0000. 99.9% have nbeen about 3/4 power cast bullet loads. Problems have been trigger slipped off after first round when new, put a stronger extractor spring in at about 4,500 to 5,000 and had a couple of FTE's. I rarely shoot factory ammo other than to function test. You should not be concerned as I believe the life of a P-32 is longer than you think if you do not abuse. How long would the family sedan last if you ran it wide open all the time? I have a P3AT with a round count almost as high and a p-11 with count considerably higher than either. Put a new takedown spring in P3AT and replaced the ejector in the P-11. I'd say that is a good indication of reliability.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts