Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
\"Hot\" ammo in my Sub2000 9mm

Great Site! I was one of the original KTOG guys when it was a "chat room" and you couldn't even post pics; we really only had AOL back then and you'd often have to wait until 2am to get online :shock: This site adds a whole new dimension to KT and seems to allow for more "open" discussions of possible problems, etc. We KTers tend to be defensive and have been called fanatical - OK, maybe I AM a little bit :oops:

So, having claimed to be an original KT "old fart" I have a basic question concerning my Sub2000 9mm. I tried doing a search on two forums, the official KT site, etc. and I read the answer to my question years ago but I just can't remember. Sorry for such a basic question that is probably simple to answer but...

How "hot" do you recommend the 9mm ammo be? I don't reload but there are some nice +P and ++P factory loads out there. I'm talking about shooting MAYBE 10-15 +P rounds per month in addition to my regular S&B mild rounds. I bought my Sub as a toy and now am seriously considering using it for some self defense situations. Instead of getting a Marlin .45 or buying a new .40 Sub I thought the + or ++ ammo would be good.

Please tell me ya shouldn't use +P so I HAVE TO buy a new .40 Sub AND a Glock or Beretta to go with it :D :!: Kidding, sorta!

Thanks,
Jack

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Standard +P ammo should be just fine in your Sub.
The ammo that's mostly to blame for giving the impression that hot ammo isn't a good idea is mostly the Hirtenberger ammo... which is loaded to near proof-load levels and is designed for sub-machine gun use. It shouldn't be used with ANY handgun, nor a blow-back carbine like the sub - it's for locked-breech carbines only. Fortunately, there's not much of this around, and what IS out is clearly marked.
Of regular ammo, then, the only thing you should really avoid is Blazer aluminum-cased ammo. You should (in my opinion, of course) avoid Wolf steel-cased ammo, also.
But your Sub should handle a moderate diet of +P loads just fine.
Flyer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Flyer,

I KNOW the Sub is inexpensive but there's just something about it that makes me want to treat it like an expensive gun. By that I don't mean it isn't robust or needs babying.

It doesn't make sense but I'd rather use a more expensive rifle as my trunk gun! Maybe it's just that I value the gun so much. Well, I'll just have to buy a SECOND Sub to keep in the trunk! :D Maybe I'll get a .40 Sub this time and then I'll have to add a new Beretta or Glock to match the mags!

+P it is!

Thanks again,
Jack

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I know you guy are tired of me talking bought my Geco fascination, but it is the hottest stuff I have found to date. Near perfect groups. Glad you said that about Hert Flyer as that was my next purchase. :oops: My sub loves the wolf.

·
Registered
39 Posts
"and then I'll have to add a new Beretta or Glock to match the mags!"

Buy a Beretta and BUSA will give you 2 free preban mags after Sept. 13th. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts