Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I just found this forum and have a problem. I have been carrying my Kel-Tec P-11 9mm for around 10 months or so and am frustated that hollow points jam on the feed ramp when I try to chamber a round.

I pull the slide all the way back and let it fly forward but most of the time the round gets stuck half way up the ramp to the chamber.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks!
-Todd In Texas

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was having the same problem. I polished up the feedramp and it got better, but was not perfect. Someone on this board suggested Federal Hy-Shok (not Hydra-Shok) 115gr. JHP 9-BP. Of all the hollowpoints out there this one has a bullet tip that is almost like a FMJ. The Federal 9BP performs flawlessly in my P-11. I also have some Crobon PowR'Ball on order and understand it feels very reliably.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
The Corbon PowR'Ball should feed very reliably. It doesn't have the hollow tip that defines JHP rounds and causes things to bind up. The Federal 9BP is also a good suggestion for a more typical JHP.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
There's also a possiblity that your mag lips are a tad too close together at the front, causing the bullet to "dip" as it approaches the ramp.
Do you have only one mag, or does it do it with others? Sometimes the lips can be spread slightly in front to allow the bullet to rest slightly "nose up". This is best accomplished with a wooden dowel or similar non-abrasive object.
In the meantime, Cor-Bon's "Pow'r Point" ammo should feed perfectly and perform as well as any other good hollowpoint round.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Todd_In_Texas,

1) 600 grit sandpaper on feed ramp. Lightly sand until you get a mirror shine. (washboard effect from rough machining on feed ramp) Don't sand up into the chamber.

2) Any chance that you're using 147 grain ammo? (bullet size, shape)

3) What are your cleaning and lubrication methods? (friction)

4) New or used P-11? Any idea how many rounds total fired at this point? New recoil and mag springs might help if it's an older pistol.

5) What type of slide - blued, hard chrome, parkerized, nickel? (binding on rails)

Do you get misfeeds when the pistol cycles from being fired?

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW... Thanks for all the usefull help from everyone. Nice to see you here too Flyer.

MurrayNevada/Midiman I have a Dremel that I'll try to polish up that ramp... and I'm looking to buy some of those Cor-Bon Pow'R'Balls as well.

flyer The Kel-Tec came with one factory with one magazine but I bought two spare ones. I'll check the mag lips on top and adjust them and see if that helps.

Keys
1) I was going to get a polishing kit for my Dremel to polish that ramp.
2) The ammo that was jamming was Federal Premium Hydra-Shok JHP 135 grains. 9mm Luger of course.
3) I clean it regularly.
4) The Kel-Tec was purchased new by me last April (8 mos) and has only 600-800 rounds through it so far.
5) Blued slide.

Lastly, I have never had a misfire but in addition to the failure to feed hollow points, I have had a couple extraction failures where the spent cartridge is left inside the chamber. D'oh!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
My particular P-11 didn't like the 135 grain HydraShoks. I shot four boxes of it back in the first few hundred rounds after I bought the pistol. I had misfeeds and some extraction problems. I stopped with the HydraShoks and never again had an extraction problem. Had no misfeeds after 300 rounds either. Now have over 3000 rounds throught m P-11.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Silver Bear Ammo

I've found that the Silver Bear ammo feeds & shoots flawlessly in my P-11 & is similar in design to FMJ, like Federal HyShok. Wanted to use Golden Sabers, but gave them away- they didn't like feeding. However my Makarov, rebarrelled for .380, likes Golden Sabers. Hmmmm, these semi-autos are finicky!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts