Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I offer a holster design, actually two, that are a bit unique in design and function in that it is designed to be "worn" on your gun and carried in the pocket. Although the Holdster is not a carry option for everyone it fills a very specific need for some folks such as LEO backup. Ambidextrious, lightweight (1.9 oz), and almost indestructible, the Holdster will work with almost any clothing configuration as long as it has a pocket. :wink:
Please visit www.artofthehide.com for more info.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Question:
Are such holsters legal?
Aren't they supposed to be registered as an actual firearm if the gun can be fired from the holster?
Seems I read that somewhere...
Just curious. I may be completely mistaken in my interpretation of the laws.
Welcome to the Range!
Flyer

G

·
Flyer, this is from his site.

The Holdster is designed for concealment, comfort, and ease of handling. The idea came about from simple frustration!!! Driven by a need for a holster for the Kel-Tec P-32 that would fit in the pocket, and wear with anything in my closet, I designed the Holdster. After much trial and error, I sent the prototype to the Firearms Technology Branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms for approval or at least classification of the design.

Why send a holster to the BATF for "Classification"? A number of years ago there was a slick little holster for the AMT .380 and the High Standard .22 that was shaped like a wallet and covered the pistol entirely except for openings for the trigger and for the slide to cycle......these designs became known as the forbidden "Wallet Holster". The BATF saw that since the gun was not readily discernible as a weapon while in those holsters, they were classified as "any other weapon". That was the classification I hoped to avoid with the Holdster.

After many anxious months, the word came back that the Holdster was a non-any other weapon, or NOT a wallet holster in the eyes of the BATF because the slide is exposed and the gun is readily discernible as a weapon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome! And Mike, thanks for pulling up the details. That was nice of ya'.
Flyer, you are right on in your interpretation of the law. A wallet holster and the gun that is to be in it must be registered with the BATF and an annual use tax paid (like $250?).
Just a FYI for all, the holster maker is held legally responsible and is liable for making an "any other weapon" if they make a true wallet holster and if it is used in conjunction with a gun and is not registered. In fact, the penalties are greater for the manufacturer than the user. :cry: That is why no holster maker will make one anymore.
That's also why I cringe when folks want to order a "wallet holster" from me. :shock: My Holdster serves in much the same capacity without the legal issues.
BTW, The title of my post is a bit off, the Holdster design has been around for a few years now but the BakStrap model is new this year.
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
68 Posts
Diplomat,

Just to be clear -- some of what you just said may confuse some people. The statement on you website is correct -- the ATF classifies some "wallet holsters" as an "any other weapon" or A.O.W. that is subject to regulation. As you describe, you cannot make a wallet holster that covers/conceals the entire pistol except the trigger and is designed so the gun can be fired without removing it from said wallet.

There are many things called "wallet holsters" (because they look like a wallet) that are made by my company, by Ron Graham and many others -- that are perfectly legal.

Our "wallet holsters" completely cover the trigger guard (as all our holsters do) and the gun cannot possibly be fired without removing it from the holster. That is -- as we have confirmed with the ATF and others -- NOT an A.O.W. and completely unrestricted.

Just wanted to be sure that people aren't under the mistaken belief that all wallet holsters are A.O.W.s -- only those that meet the above-stated requirements.

Your Holdster, by the way the trigger is accessed, looks closer to an A.O.W. than many -- but is apparently exempt because the slide is not covered or concealed. My first look at your holster made me (like Flyer) wonder if it was legal -- but the A.T.F.'s reasoning makes sense to me.

Good luck with them.

Duane
[email protected]
www.KDHolsters.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Duane,
I see I went a bit askew in terms and sure didn't mean to imply that all wallet holsters were in the same class.
Matt

I really like the design of your 2 in 1 convertible, BTW.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, Diplomat, the 2n1 design is by far our most popular holster.

Just a tid bit more with respect to the issue of wallet holsters. ATF only regulates firearms, not holsters. In essence, if the gun being manufactured is designed to look like a wallet, or if the "holster" looks like a wallet AND allows you to fire the gun while still in the wallet holster, then they have the regulatory control. In addition, you will find most holster makers who make a wallet-style holster go the extra step to ensure the weapon needs to be extracted from the holster in order to be fired. Thus taking away the issue of whether or not the weapon can be fired while it is contained within the wallet.

Enjoyed looking at your website, and especially the knives. Duane and I wish you continued success with your Holdsters and knives.

Kevin
K&D Holsters

1 - 8 of 8 Posts