Kel-Tec Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a source for Hirtenberger 9mm ammunition (L7A1 cartridge)? See any problems with using it in a Sub2K or Marlin Camp 9 Carbine?

I know that it is hot stuff and was manufactured for use in British submachine guns and shouldn't be used in the P-11 pistol -- or, I guess in any pistol.

I heard that 12 million rounds were sold onto the surplus market within the last few years.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
...and Hirtenberger immediately notified the BATF of the situation with the strict warning that the "ammo was made specifically for use in British Sub Machine guns and was loaded to pressure levels unsafe for use in any handgun." I sure as hell wouldn't be using it in an S2K which can barely handle limited use of +p ammo.

There are those who ignore this warning and claim to have shot thousands of rounds through their Glock or whatever... me, I'm a guitar player. I need all 10 fingers. If I need to shoot ammo THAT hot in my 9mm... I need something bigger than a 9mm.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ka-Boom!, Huh? Guess I'll stay away from it for the Sub2K...

The chamber on the Marlin Camp 9 looks pretty stout, it sure would make a nice little carbine round....

I fgured if it was out on the surplus market -- and was reasonable, I might give it a try.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have shot the Hirtenberger stuff through a 50's vintage Sten belonging to a relative. It was banging the crap out of the bolt and there is a lot more steel in one Sten than in any 4 SUB2000's. I would not suggest using it in a SUB2000 or in any handgun. It is nastier than +P+ or the ugliest reload you have ever fired. If you surf around there are some pics on the web of handgun failures using it. One I recall was a 92F.

I am one of those people who will crowd the upper limit of velocity & pressure. But that stuff is plain dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts