Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you suggest?
I have a Glock 40 cal and Keltec P 11 so either ammo could be used in two of my Guns.
Where can you get larger Mags for them. (more than 10rounds)
How do they compare to the SUB 2000
Thanks for your help

Tom Staggs

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Hi-Points are GREAT little carbines.
I'm lucky enough to live near their factory, and have seen them being made. Neat place.
I prefer the 9mm version, personally. It's got a flatter trajectory for the longer shots...
Right now at least, the only mags for them are the factory ones. I'll wager, though, that when the Brady law sunsets in September, Hi-Point will come out with some form of hi-cap mag... probably just a longer single-stack version.
Compared to the SUB... it's heavier, and maybe a bit bulkier. But, it IS more rugged, and will take more abuse.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have 2 of the Hi-Point firearms.
A 9mm carbine rifle and a 9mm pistol. They are pretty decent and they are cheap. My 9mm hi-point pistol has a little over 5000 rds through it. Clean it and oil it.

The rifle is pretty good also. It comes with a ghost ring site on it. The rifle will take quit a bit of rough handling. 9mm ammo is cheaper than .40 or .45acp.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Location of Hi Point Factory

I grew up in Northridge. The Dixie Drive address is familiar. Where on Dixie Drive is it. Close to Vandalia or down toward home.
I would like to visit it the next time home.

Tom Staggs

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
It's down towards your way on Dixie, away from Vandalia.
Hi-Point has several plants that each make a specific firearm... although they're all located with a short radius of each other.
It's about twenty minutes from Vandalia, I'd say.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I have the 9mm Hi Point carbine and have enjoyed shooting it very much. I've recommended them to every shooter I know.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I would by the SUB. IHO it is better made, more rugged, and of a much better quality. Now, that said I want the High Point rifle as well! :) The only way I would have a HP pistol is if it was given to me. Just my humble opinion guys so don't jump me after school please! :twisted:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought the HP 9mm carbine

Well I broke down and bought one. Looking forward to shooting it at the range on Friday.

:D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Pretty rugged.

ugly as sin and shoots great...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How the Hi Point Carbine shoots

Well I have put around 500 rounds through it and have had no!!!! problems with it. I installed a red dot on it and it is very accurate out to 25 yards. At ten yards it will put a hole through a hole that you put the red dot on. At 25 yards The shooter gets a little less accurate but the gun is great. I can not get any fauther because it is an indoor range. Very pleased with it and the Red Dot. Even with the iron sites I did pretty well but did not like putting my face against the stock to aim.

ts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Even with the iron sites I did pretty well but did not like putting my face against the stock to aim.
Um...
I've shot this way my whole life.
Is there any other way to shoot a rifle accurately?
Really, I'm not trying to be a smart-a** with the question... I just don't quite understand what you mean by that statement.
Most of us find a good cheek-weld against the stock to be of supreme importance for accurate shooting.
Am I missing something, here? :?:
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Flyer said:
Even with the iron sites I did pretty well but did not like putting my face against the stock to aim.
Um...Am I missing something, here? :?:
Flyer

Not sure here, but I think he ment a Laser sight. He said "At ten yards it will put a hole through a hole that you put the red dot on". My uncle calls the Laser a Red Dot scope too. Drives me nuts :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, I am not talking about a Laser. I am talking about the Red Dot
scope. I do not have to as you say "weld my cheek against the stock" with the Red Dot scope. With the sights that came with the Hi Point I had to get down and feel my teeth grind against the stock when it is fired :( With the Red Dot it seems a lot looser fit against the stock and I am a lot more accurate. I place the red dot in the scope on a former bullet hole and it drilles it again at 10 yards. I do not call a laser a red dot scope as your uncle does "gun nut" so don't go more nuts :)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Tenntrains,
Most of the time, the tighter you mash your cheek into the stock, the better.
Yup, it can be uncomfortable until you're accustomed to it... but idea is to weld yourself and the rifle into one solid "unit", as it were.
It's like using a sling... you apply tension with your elbow with most shooting slings, and it helps lock the rifle into shooting position.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I think I've experienced exactly what Tenntrains is referring to in his post. There is something about the plastic stock and the cheek placement that is required when using the carbine with iron sights. I too find it much more comfortable using a red dot scope. With it my cheek finds a more comfortable spot and it does not sting as much.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
:shock: enough on how ugly it is you can now reskin that badboy ati now make this for 995 carbine

1 - 20 of 27 Posts