Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, glad to be a member of the Kel-Tec range.

Now down to business.
I've been really wanting to buy a sub-2000 in 9mm, although it is most likely the fugliest gun I have ever seen, I am quite enamored with it. Basically, what I want to know is what grip to get. I was thinking the one that accepts beretta mags, but what are your guys' thoughts on it? I don't own a Beretta 92, glock 17 (and I will never own a glock :wink:) or a S&W Model 59.

Also, what are some things, if any, to look for when buying one?

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I bought the Glock grip version because I had every intention of buying a Glock (and did). If that's not your case, do some research and find the model for which you can find the cheapest hicap mags... probably the S&W.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
HEY! I wonder if I could make an aluminum sleave to allow the use of 39 series single stack mags in the SUB 2000 Smith grip??? OMG now I really will not be able to sleep tonight! Geez. :roll:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The Glock is one of the very best pistols in the world. Why would you NEVER buy one? Not because of something some idiot hack of a gunwriter told you? As someone who has actually accepted MONEY from various publications in past years (LONG past) to write about guns, the entire "gun review" process in most magazines has absolutely NOTHING to do with the gun itself.
Basically it's a printout from a computer program fed with info like company name, Leo agencies using them, cost, and most importantly, how much the company pays for ADVERTISING their pistol in their magazine.
The resultant print-out will basically tell you if the pistol deserves anything from an A+ to an F -.
The gunwriter then prepares his report and skews the results accordingly. Most would do very well in Democratic Spin-Bureaus.
As for the SUB, I believe that if I were to purchase another it would be the Beretta version, as there are TONS of 92 hi-caps out there, both factory and aftermarket, that work well. Most aftermarket magazines are nothing but stamped pieces of junk. The Beretta magazine design, however, has enough built-in tolerance to overcome this and usually functions fine.
Also, when the AWB sunsets, it's a good possiblity an entire flood of M-9 magazines will hit the market.
Flyer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nobody has ever told me, nor have I ever read that Glocks are bad pistols. Quite the contrary, I have heard nothing but praise for them.
The main reason I would never buy a glock is becuase I shot one, and just didn't like it. I'm not a big fan of most DAO designs, and I especially didn't like the Glocks. Didn't fit my hand well and just did not feel right.
I also think glocks are pretty ugly in thier design, If I was going for a full size polymer gun, I would much rather have an HK USP, but I digress, to each his own, right?

So the Beretta grip is the way to go then if I understand what you're saying, makes sense too. Should be heading down to discount gun sales to see what grip they have on the sub they got in a few days and hopefully I should be coming back with one :D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Just get the Smith SUB. You have more options for interchangablility. Plus it uses a Smith mag. What more can you ask a Non Smith gun to be if not interchangeable with its betters....(That my good friends was a Joke)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
Just get the Smith SUB. You have more options for interchangablility. Plus it uses a Smith mag. What more can you ask a Non Smith gun to be if not interchangeable with its betters....(That my good friends was a Joke)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Sub in the S&W version and 15 rd mags were about $12 each.

With regard to the Glock my thoughts exactly. It Never fired in the same place and wasn't that accurate. In fact my Dan Wesson .357 outshot the Glock with both me and a friend shooting (the Glock was his). He loved his Glock and his only remark was "Well I have 15 rounds" I said "So what, I only need one" :lol:

DAO is DOA.

Jeff

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re:

J57ltr said:
I have the Sub in the S&W version and 15 rd mags were about $12 each.
So are all aftermarket mags junk, or are there some good ones out there?? I have never had a pistol with a double stack magazine, so I have no experience with hi cap pistol mags, and any extra mags I have ever bought have been factory. What brands tend to be good?

·
Registered
18 Posts
At this point I cannot say, I haven't been able to shoot more than a few rounds through the gun at a time, because it jams (I still put about 400 rds through it). Doesn't matter if it's the stock 10 round mag or the 15 rd mags I bought (10rd is a double stack too). My rifle has a problem with the feed ramp seems it's a little worn out and causes the shell to misfeed. I was supposed to have a new one here several weeks ago but I guess someone dropped the ball.

Kel-Tec seems to have very good customer service. I asked them about a sighting problem (someone had hacked a piece of plastic to make one), and they sent me new sights out within a few days I had them. Customer service seems to work better through email though.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

Bulbman said:
What brands tend to be good?
Mecgar(sp?) and Marlin fatory. Almost every thing else is junk. I have two after market no names that work 100%. I modified them heavily and replaced the followers, springs and baseplates. If the body and base are in good shape you can make em work, but sometimes its not pretty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
"I don't own a Beretta 92, glock 17 (and I will never own a glock ) or a S&W Model 59. "

Fugly? Well.......yeah, but it's fun too and can do a bunch of things well.

I had just purchased a Beretta 92F when I chanced on the Subs. Naturally I bought a 9mm Beretta version and never looked back. My 30 rd. aftermarket mags work well as do all my many Beretta mags.
My only problem is the 9mm based interchangability and the fun shooting the Sub & Beretta somehow led to a Beretta Cougar, Vertec and now a new 92FS. Only the Cougar mags won't work in all other weapons.
I also suggest Beretta for several other reasons.
1.) Great guns (never met one I didn't like)
2.) I wanted to like Glocks, tried, ....but couldn't. :cry:
3.) Used Berettas are plentiful & cheap. 8)
4.) New 92's and Vertecs get you 2 free preban mags once the AWB sunsets. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah just becuase I said I didn't have a Beretta 92 doesn't mean I would never own one, that was kind of confusing. I have a Tomcat and it's the best little gun I've ever owned, and I am sure it will definetly lead to more Berettas, most likely a new shotgun next.
Berettas are good guns, they are Italian
Mec-Gar mags are good mags, they too are Italian
Coincidence? I think not!
(if you didn't guess, I'm Italian too)

The sub is ugly but really neat, thats why I'm buying one!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Midiman said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think both the SUBS and the Glocks are great looking guns. My Glock has been my longest owned and most reliable pistol.
Yeah I guess it really is, the sub is futuristic looking, but for someone like me who tends to like more classic designs it can look a bit strange. I must admit though, I am begining to like polymer guns more and more (especially that new Beretta CX4 Storm, can't get over how sexy that looks!)

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

Bulbman said:
Yeah I guess it really is, the sub is futuristic looking, but for someone like me who tends to like more classic designs it can look a bit strange. I must admit though, I am begining to like polymer guns more and more (especially that new Beretta CX4 Storm, can't get over how sexy that looks!)
I don't own a single gun that has a piece of wood anywhere. All black guns.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Midiman said:
I don't own a single gun that has a piece of wood anywhere. All black guns.
wow. All polymer frames too, or alloy frames with poly grips?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Actually, the only guns I own with actual polymer grips are Glocks.
Kel-Tecs have aluminum frames.
Also... although I either do or have owned other guns cloned from Glock's design, like the XDs from Springfield, the H&K USP, and the Walther/S&W P-99 series, I honestly can say -
I don't like any of them.
Give me a Glock, or give me a metal-framed gun.
Accept no substitutes.
Flyer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone stopped to ponder why berettas are so plentiful and reasonable? Could it be that so many police departments have traded in their berettas with aging slides that at one time beretta reccomended replacing after 10,000 rounds for the dependability of the glocks along with the weight reduction. heheh. But honestly bulb I can relate to just not liking the feel of a particular frame style, myself I just dont care for the smith pistols though some shooters I respect an awful lot swear by theirs. Im not real big in the third gen glock grip both mine are gen two and I love them both.
like what you shoot shoot what you like shoot safe and shoot often... tiny

1 - 20 of 23 Posts