Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I seem to have my trigger trouble under control....

I am ready to move on to my smilies issues.
I have less than 200 rounds rounds through my pistol and both of my mags followers are already beat to hell.

I have been studying the barrel to frame relationship.

I noticed that my barrel feedramp extends well into the magwell when in the unlocked position.

It overhangs slightly more than 0.065".
This is the first semi auto pistol that I have seen that is set up this way.

Is this what you are referring to in your "Rampectomy" modification?

There is also evidence of (bullet?) contact on the upper front edge of the mag well. The top front of my mags also show some flattening.
I will try to post a pic tonight showing traces of copper on the lower edge of the feedramp. If my camera will cooperate!

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yep!
This is what the Smiley mod's all about.
It's not hard at all if you take your time and work carefully.
Shouldn't take long to do, either. I'd go easy on the Dremeling, though, and use files whenever possible.
Flyer

·
Registered
15 Posts
PLEASE don't do a feedrampectomy on your P3

PLEASE don't do a feedrampectomy on your P3.

A feedrampectomy would involve the complete removal of the feedramp (as in tonsilectomy or appendectomy) and would make the gun permanently non-functional.

If you want to modify or polish the feedramp to eliminate smileys, please do a "feedrampotomy", not an -ectomy...

:lol:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
bigbird,
There wasn't any reason at all to post a thread titled "Rampectomy = Really Bad Idea" at Ktog.
When I came up with the mod that's what I called it - the "Feedramp Mod".
In fact, it was a KTOGER who nicknamed it the "Rampectomy".
Flyer

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flyer,
FWIW..It really should'nt have tobe explained " Not to remove the feed ramp" I can only imagine how that would end .....

To tell you the truth I understood the meaning. I also understood that it is a simple trimming and relatively minor reshaping of the lower portion of the feedramp.

It sort of makes an uneducated man such as myself wonder who it was that surgically removed the entire feedramp :twisted:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
\"whatchamacallit mod\"

after doing the ramp mod, it eliminated the smiley prob. a new prob has arisen. when viewing my follower from the top, the follower is shaved on an angle from front to rear. in other words the rounded left front corner is cut away on a straight angle [30 degrees approx] from front to rear. i believe this "shaving" is due to cutting the ramp face asymetrically. i didn't remove as much metal on the left side of the arc as i did on the right. i don't believe the center portion is now impacting the follower face, but the side of the arc is shaving the corner of the follower by sliding under the bullet face and the uneven face of the ramp is cutting that portion of the follower on the way back. regardless, feed and extraction has not been affected.
i'm going to do a little more filing on the left side to balance the arc out and order a new follower to see if that effects a cure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No disrespect intended - just a joke about the suffix used.
:oops:

I've performed the flyer rampotomy on my own P3, and reduced the smileys considerably - thanks to your writeup about the procedure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts