Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: :?:
I got my new firing pins from Kel-tec, and they don't fit?
the new pins have a bell shape about half way down, so I will not go all the way into the bolt. am I doing something wrong, or did Kel-tec send me the wrong pins?
pls help, I'm itching to hit the range and put some serious rounds through my new SU-16

any and all ideas appreciated
thx

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like something is funny. Try rotating it and seeing if it will fit in. I belive it might be more an issue towards the base and the cutout part and it needing to go in a certain way. Try taking it all back out and then do it again and see if it all fits in right.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
different pin

sorry, i tried again, and what I found is that my original pin did not have the bell in the middle. I'm attaching a photo from an earlier post from another member, both his old and new pin have the bell, my doesn't?? any ideas??

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'd mail your bolt to KT before I make any modifications -- call them on the telephone at least. If something has changed in the design, they'll make sure that you get what you need.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
I'd hold off a bit on sending it back 'till Marty has a chance to see this thread and respond to it... (Bloodwalker).
That "bell" is DEFINITELY supposed to be there... it keeps your pin centered in it's channel!
I dunno if you've got a blockage of some sort in your bolt carrier or not...
Flyer

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Re:

flyandscuba said:
I'd mail your bolt to KT before I make any modifications -- call them on the telephone at least.
You guys may recall I had the same issue. He has a early style bolt. The new style pins do not work in them. It does not work with the smaller channel of the old bolts. You will have to send the whole gun to KT if you want the new style bolt. I spoke to KT about it and the bolt must be fitted. Or you can do what I did. I had to remove the Bell shape.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pin problems

thx for the info, I will call kt on monday,(thx gun nut, the number was in the thread you gave the llnk to)

apparently, there are multipl pin and bolt systems for this gun. I realize that a new gun is a learning process, but, since I gave kt my serial # 00145 I don't understand why they wouldn't be aware of the bolt issue, how come kt didn't do a recall on the lower #'s, or did they, and I just missed it.

can I send the gun back myself, or should I go to my gunshop and have them send it, if that is what kt says to do?

again, thank you all for you insight and knowlege

garyz

G

·
You can FED-EX or UPS ONLY!!!!! an unloaded firearm to a manufacturer for repair, etc. I would box it up and take it to either place. Get all of the guarantees and insurance and signatures, tracking, etc, that you can. I have always felt that if the carrier knew that the package was being closely watched that they were less likely to steal it. I would also spend the extra money and go with the overnight air as well. I would avoid the pack and ship places also and try to go straight to the carrier's office for shipping. Less hands on the package!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
marty where are you???

I called kel-tec today, the first person I talked too, had no idea what I was talking about, I got trans to the manager, her barely seemed to know. first he said to send the bolt assembly only, then to send the whole gun. does kel-tec pay for the shipping or do I have to? I already dropped a good amount on this gun, and it's not really fit to shoot?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Tis the price we pay for having one of the first guns made. Under a thousand is still early in the run IMHO. Ask for Marty and you will be taken care of I am sure. The shipping is not covered to the Factory , but they do pay it going back. To ship a Rifle is like $9 or $10 bucks ground. I hated being parted from "My Precious" (said in my most Golem like voice) so I fixed the pins sent to me. PM if you need help with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shippin

actually, I got an email response from KT today, they told me to fax my shipping bill to them, and they can approve a refund up to $20.00 I just ran the ruff #'s through fed-ex and it should only cost about $20.00 life is looking better, except that I will be w/o my new baby for awhile

·
Registered
17 Posts
garyz - I shipped one Fedx from Nevada and it only cost $7 by ground. Turn around was pretty quick - about 2 weeks. They offered to re-pay it too but I was just happy to get it back!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
shipping

I just shipped my su back via fed-ex, I live in mass, so hold on for this one, it cost me $58.00 to ship it. fed ex in mass requires firearms to be sent priortiy. didn't really have much of a choice. I faxed my shipping receipt to keltec today, we'll see what they do. It seems that since they new this was an issue, they should have recalled the earlier #'s so hopefully I won't be w/o my new baby for too long. I just picked up a BSA red dot for it, it looked good until I had to remove it for shipping sob sob sob :cry:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Understanding your woes too...

I recently got my SU-16 from a dealer in OR and had it shipped to CA. From reading other posts here on KTR I didn't want to shoot mine until I got the "new style" firing pins, but my rifle being under SN 150 has the same style bolt mentioned above that doesn't use that bell shaped guide.

I would really like to keep the rifle in it's original condition, but I want to know if using it with this different bolt/FP combo will risk me getting a cartridge stuck in it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it that much. Just shoot it till it either breaks or you have a convient time to send it in where you won't have to use it for 2 weeks or so. My pin broke with the second gen pin I guess you'd call it, it had the flare and the new pin dropped in. When it broke it just wouldn't fire off the round, no worries about getting one stuck or something like that. The shot will either go off or not and the extractor will always pull the cartridge out so it's not that big of a deal unless your in the middle of a competition where you hafta have the rifle working for the rest of it. Heck, shoot a bunch with it and tell us how long that bolt/fp combo hold up for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
who should I contact about this

So I called kel-tec Customer Service, and they had ZERO idea about what I was talking about. Does anyone here know who I should talk to about this "first generation" style firing pin?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.