Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As true with any and all semi-autos the heavier the bullet is the harder it is going to force the slide back preventing jams.
It is also a fact that a heavier bullet will not travel as far and at a slightly slower feet per second rate.
I have had many different 380 autos and I live out in a rural area so I have no problem shooting them when I drink a few beers and get bored. My experience with the 380 auto is that it does not have a whole lot of penetration power after about 25 feet, I would find bullets all over the ground that did not go into my backstop of railroad ties. So a heavier bullet that has a little bit slower speed and travel distance does not really matter much because if you are going to be attacted you will be shooting at the attacker within probably 10 feet or less, if you are shooting at a attacker across the road or something the 380 will not cut it. The problem that I have always had is that I cannot find a load that is heavier ten 95gr. I would love to find a hollow point weighing in at 110gr. or better yet 115gr. I feel that these would be real man stoppers within the 10 feet range, of course you would not want to make a habit out of shooting this kind of weight due to the excessive battering it would due to your gun, accuracy would not matter! I can hit a man size target within 10 feet in a dark room with sunglasses on. Does anyone know of a factory load for the 380 that has this kind of weight?? Please Respond

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Can't think of any "heavy bullet" 380 loads on the commercial market. It may be because you would venture into problems with the overall length of the cartridge and/or powder compression.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Yes, the Remington Golden Saber is the heaviest jhp to be had.
Also, it's not the weight of the bullet that drives the slide back, but the inertia from the energy released by the round, i.e., how many ft. lbs. of energy it produces.
Shoot a Golden Saber round, then a Cor-Bon round.
The Cor-Bon has a lighter bullet, but is DEFINITELY whipping that slide back and forth at a greater rate!
Flyer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mike

I hope you were joke'n when you said"I have no problem shooting them when I drink a few beers and get bored" And the statementyou made " It is also a fact that a heavier bullet will not travel as far" If also false A lighter pojectile will lose momentum faster than a heavy one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
and.........

semi-autos the heavier the bullet is the harder it is going to force the slide back preventing jams is also a false statment

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Lighter bullets have a faster velocity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.