Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've seen everyone seems to have their own opinions on what you need in a gun safe.

I'm figuring that my home owner's policy is going to likely cover their replacement. I'm going to move in about a month, and plan on making sure that my policy does cover them.

My guns aren't really anything I couldn't replace. I would hate to lose them, but I don't have anything extremely rare or anything like that.

I plan on purchasing some form of safe to lock up my guns, mostly to keep the children of guests from being able to get ahold of them.

Is there really a significant advantage to me buying a good quality, fire resistent safe as opposed to something more basic that won't really be able to keep out a determined adult for long, nor will provide protection in a fire.?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
You get what you pay for... you need to determine your need. A more expensive safe, in addition to fire protection, provides a more air tight enclosure allowing the use of a dehumidifier which will protect your guns from high levels of humidity if that's a problem. I use an old section of what look like sheet metal, high school type lockers... a 3 locker section. One for pistols and ammo, one for rifles and one for all sorts of accessories. I built shelving in them to meet my requirements. Two of the locks could be broken within seconds by any determined adult... the third would take a little longer... security isn't really my concern. I just want to keep the kids out. Ammo that's in for long term storage is in military ammo cans with air seals and desicant inside. The guns get shot often enough so they are cleaned and maintained on a regular basis... no rust problems. If I had anything truely collectible, I would look at something else.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sam's Club has a nice Winchester brand gun safe for $699.

It'll hold quite a bit of stuff, is fire proof, and has provision for adding a dehumidifier.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Okay....
ANYONE that laughs get kicked off the Range YESTERDAY!!!
At home my gun safes, all three of them, are made by... Whirlpool.
Yep, that's right... I've taken three dead refrigerators, disemboweled them, and converted them.
They have plenty of space inside and lock up securely with nice Yale padlocks from the outside.
Hey... didn't cost nuthin! ('Cept the price of the locks and hardware).
Flyer

G

·
I had a buddy of mine that took an old refrigerator, put a keg on the inside and ran the tap through the front of the door. I thought that was creative. How did you find space in your kitchen for 4 refrigerators?...... :wink:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Charcoal Grill gun racks....

Whirlpool Refrigerator gun safes....

What's next? Road Barricade gun rests???

Only at the KTRange! Makes me want to repost this hunting stand photo....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Flyer,

Interesting idea. I just read a thread (forget where) about turning an old Coke vending machine into a gun safe. Tear out the guts to lighten it considerably and you're good to go. They already have some good locks, and if you keep it out in the garage it will look like just another broken vending machine. Guy had a dozen rifles and 25 pistols in it and still had plenty of room.

Unless you have big signs on them saying "Guns In Here", I would bet most burglars would pass them by, thinking the locks were to keep out children. I will miss my mental picture of you in your walk-in gun safe surrounded by heaps of guns. Sort of like Scrooge McDuck but with guns instead of money. Oh well, I'm sure it works well.

CA

G

·
Re:

Gun_Nut_2k1 said:
norfdet893 said:
That's a ******* tree house....or the vacation home of GN2K1.... :lol:

I caught that! I would never stay there! No place for the BBQ grill. :)
I hadn't thought of that...I guess we'll have to set up some sort of bucket/pulley/rope system and put the grill on the ground....

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well, I don't need no darn bbq grill!!!
A long fork and a propane torch and I'm in business.
Flyer

·
Registered
519 Posts
ive never tried that, but i have roasted marshmellows over a scented candle on a matchstick before. i was young, it was cold, i was at a friends house playing playstation in a cold small garage with a propane or kerosene heater goin..then we stood up and didnt feel well, so we sat back down. who needs drugs!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used to think I was creative. I guess not though -- No fridge safe. No vending machine safe. I just bought a Liberty safe and bolted it to the concrete slab in my basement. I did rearrange the shelves -- does that count for anything?

·
Registered
519 Posts
i just have an inexpensive $99 security cabinet. not much handgun room, because it is short enough that the long gun barrels havta go behind the shelf, so the shelf is only mabey 5 inches deep with a lip on the back so stuff doesnt fall off the back. so i haveta be creative stacking ammo and pistols. but it comes with 2 trays in the door, and i have targets hangin in the back with a magnet. it also came with a gun (trigger) lock.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well, i only own 5 guns. my daisy red ryder, my remington 870 express magnum 12ga., my ruger 10/22, my excam/targa GT28 .25acp, and of course my P-11. so i only have a few boxes of ammo. but i still NEED a p32 and a makarov. :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts