Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got bored and decided it was time to come up with something new.
So, how about a tool to make inserting the guide rod and springs easy?
Find an old aluminum key with a good-sized gripping area. Round off the corners with a file or Dremel, then cut a slot just a bit wider than the recoil rod about a half-inch or a bit longer right down the middle of it:

Now, put the springs onto the rod and compress them with your fingers until they're fully over the rod, then take the tool and slide it down onto the rod in front of the springs. Keep the pressure against the springs as you line up the guide rod, and once it's in place in the hole, pull the tool up and out.
Bingo! No more blistered fingers or spending $400 on a White metal detector to find your wayward springs.
If it's thin enough, you can just put the rod and spring assembly right onto the pistol, slide the tool onto the rod between the coils of the spring, and pull back, guiding the rod into place that way.
Simple, eh?
Flyer

·
Registered
24 Posts
:idea: Vivat and bravo Flyer !!! That (the tool)makes such good sense, I did the -forehead slap- as in --why didn't I think of that !!! Inventive fellow you are !!! \\\\\\ Wil ///

·
Registered
15 Posts
SAFETY

Tool or no tool, Please WEAR GLASSES any time you are fiddling with the guide rod and springs, as they make an excellent eyeball-seeking guide-rod launcher.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Flying slide springs

I did it a different way by filing a slight bullet nose on the guide rod end. It doesn't work that great but it's better than trying to find a squared off hole with a squared off rod . You dont have that much to work with. It would be better if the rod was 1/16" longer.
Your widget is better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts