Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We don't host your graphics anymore... so everything that follows is kind of a moot point.

The file attachment system is supposed to impose certain limits on the sizes and types of files that are attached to messages but it doesn't seem to work.

Can we please try to limit the WIDTH of any attached graphic to 640 pixels and keep them under 100k in file size. Use about 75% jpeg compression... not these huge 95% - 100% graphics I'm seeing.

02/03/05 - I guess some of us can't. I did some routine backups today... the database, the attachment files directory, the avatars, etc... and was appalled at the number of 250 - 300k graphics people have posted to the system. Offenders have had their upload privileges cut off. New members have no privileges. They have to ask and acknowledge having read this post... and affirm that they have the appropriate skills and tools to edit graphics to conform to our guidelines!

I've been going in and manually editing every graphic that's larger than that and it consumes a little more time than I care to spend, but it's necessary to keep the hard drive space under control, decrease our page load times and to prevent me from having to scroll sideways all over the screen to see the graphic.

I've found this program to be a fairly decent image processing tool. It's small (1M self-extracting zip file), has a lot of features, is fairly easy to use and will do batch processing on multiple images. If you download it I can walk you through the basics of prepping your images to meet our guidelines.

FSResizer - click to download.

This one is a more full featured paint program that's still fairly small (1.7M winzip file) and and has a ton of features. I can walk you through the basic steps on this too. It's also handy for creating custom avatars, etc.

Ultimate Paint - click to download.

Both programs will run on any 32-bit Windows OS (sorry, no Windows 3.1)

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
to prevent me from having to scroll sideways all over the screen to see the graphic.
I was gonna post something funny about this quote...
But then I shrunk my brain to 640 cells wide and 75% density and forgot what it was...
Flyer

·
Registered
519 Posts
question...
if i were to go into my attachment control panel and delete the pictures i've uploaded, would they no longer appear when the thread is viewed? i didnt know if i should delete them to free up some space. although im sure ill never upload 150mb

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re:

packin heat said:
question...
if i were to go into my attachment control panel and delete the pictures i've uploaded, would they no longer appear when the thread is viewed? i didnt know if i should delete them to free up some space. although im sure ill never upload 150mb
I don't know why the attachment module tells everyone they have 150MB of graphic space. That's the total hard drive space allowed for the entire board. Anyway... if you delete the images from your attachment control panel, they will no longer appear in the posts.. you'll get a funny looking missing graphic icon depending on what browser you use. If you dlete a post with a graphic attached, i believe the graphic is deleted with it. In any case, i have a utility that will find homeless graphics whose posts are missing and allow me to delete them.

I wouldn't worry about deleting anything to save space at the moment. As long as people adhere to the 640 width/75% compression specs, we have enough room to last us a long time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
ok cool. yeah i was kinda supprised when i saw that 150mb, didnt think that was for each person. but i thought mabey you had borrowed a server from nasa or something...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think posters have gotten carried away with multiple graphic signatures in their posts. One guy posts a 2 line message and with 3 LARGE signature graphics it takes up OVER a full screen to display the post. Don't you think this is a little bit too much ? I thought the importance of such a Forum was to pass on info and comments not to post an array of meaningless pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re:

tlen said:
I think posters have gotten carried away with multiple graphic signatures in their posts. One guy posts a 2 line message and with 3 LARGE signature graphics it takes up OVER a full screen to display the post. Don't you think this is a little bit too much ? I thought the importance of such a Forum was to pass on info and comments not to post an array of meaningless pictures.
It seems silly to me as well but the graphics only needs to be downloaded once and from that point they get pulled out of your cache on subsequent displays... so there's no real overhead that's hurting anything as far as the board or your hard drive are concerned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The point is I was trying to make is when there is so much "chaff" then it‘s harder to see the “wheat”……… If no one cares perhaps I should post Large pictures of my pet, my pickup, house, GF/SO, etc. in a signature file just so I can see them each time I post….

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Tip:
KTRange isn't meant to be a dry technical manual.
It's meant to be a fun place to discuss your guns, improve them, and talk with your fellow gun lovers.
For entertainment purposes I rarely pick a Dictionary to read... usually I grab a novel.
Secondly, most of the attachments aren't taking space on the Range's server at all. Even if it DID... that's OUR problem, not the members.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Re:

tlen said:
The point is I was trying to make is when there is so much "chaff" then it‘s harder to see the “wheat”……… If no one cares perhaps I should post Large pictures of my pet, my pickup, house, GF/SO, etc. in a signature file just so I can see them each time I post….
Pics in a sig line are coming from the member's personal web space server. My own sig pic is a big whopping 9 kb in size. The creative talents of some of our members are what makes KTrange different from other forums. If you go over to Family Friends & Firearms the sig pics often take up a whole page, and are sometimes overdone. I hate to see a senior member have to cut back on what he feels is his freedom to express himself, and especially because the symbolism is usually pro RKBA and pro America. The High Road is probably bland enough for your tastes.......

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys, My smilies are not working... Is it the site or did I make some changes on my pc that I not aware of?? The animated ones I mean..

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Well, let's see here... :roll: :lol: :zap:
I took a look at your settings and they're just fine... maybe the server was goofy for awhile?
Flyer

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm still locked up. Your sig is frozen also, your just hanging in mid air..All animation on KTRange is frozen....?????? Don't you dare post a animated babe pic Flyer until I get this fixed, ok....

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
Could be the Looney Tunes virus. Stops all animation, especially of pesky varmints like Flyer.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Midi quick question. I am uploading files to my Webspace. When I post them as an Image Tag they don't take up space on your server does it? Does this mean that I can leave the resolusion a bit higher as long as my pic does not go over the 680 length?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
640... the problem with having graphics in excess of 100k is that they significantly slow down the page load times... no matter where they are hosted. Put 10 100k files on a page and you have a page that's over 1M in size. A dial-up user would wait 7 minutes or longer for that page to load.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Midi, Tried to download the ultimate paint program the past 3 days, I keep getting a page not found error. Is the link still valid? Ended up downloading the other program and getting the latest update from their website. First time I've played with this kind of program but seems to have alot of good features. I understand the need to keep them within the size limits. May I be allowed to post pics? Don't have any planned right now, just wanted the permission should the need arise.

Thanks Zeke

·
Registered
8 Posts
Midiman - I downloaded the program you suggested; may never use it, but I've got it and will use it to comply if I ever post any pics - definately under 640. (erh)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts