Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kel-Tec Range
Where NO opinion will be swayed by paid advertising!
----------------------------------------------------

.... VERY GOOD! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
As everyone knows, there are various forms of advertising, such as posting a link to the holster maker's website, and each serves a purpose. The best advertising around is word of mouth/recommendation of another person using the product.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, Midiman. I was only trying to indicate that there are a myriad of avenues utilized by businesses to advertise their product, and perhaps each type should be considered when making the public aware of the product's availability.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As some folks may know, K&D Holsters has recently utilized "paid advertising" on KTOG, because we were specifically contacted and asked to place an ad to help the owner defray his costs. It was our understanding that the opportunity to do the same was extended to a number of vendors who frequent that board. We did so mostly out of the sense of gratitude to KTOG for the resource it has been to others and to us.

If KTRange extended us the opportunity, we would do the same thing here. Apparently the powers that be here are generous enough to fund the costs of the board and I, for one, certainly appreciate them shouldering that burden.

We appreciate the opportunity to read, learn, and share with the folks here on KTRange, and not just about holsters. This site has a wealth of information and resources for KT gun owners, and other topics as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Post with a link??

I think that maybe *name recognition* should be included here with *word of mouth* advertisement.

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Just a side note...
I REPEATEDLY AND OFTEN offered to help pay for Ktog's maintenance and upkeep.
My help wasn't wanted.
Flyer

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flyer

............so you weren't specifically asked ? Me either. :eek:

RJ=

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since we all visit both forums has anyone seen an advertiser influencing the discussions...I sure haven't.
I HAVE seen one holster maker repeatedly using the "for sale" area to sell his goods (not K&D nor Hedley). I think that's pretty bad form!

·
Premium Member
5,516 Posts
I also asked about donating to KTOG in the past with no reply.
I can't even begin to explain the goings on there.

Regards, Keys 8)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Many products "result to" "paid advertising"... I see no problem with a small banner ad for a related product on a board, or offering your products up for sale in the for sale section...

now what expenses are incurred over at KTOG, or who was asked/not asked/ not accepted/ or what ever, over there really has little to do with K&D. If Flyers donation was accepted and he happened to put up a link to the Flyer wire (when he was selling them) would he have gotten the same remarks??

I'm just saying that some remarks seem to be misdirected, some seem to be legitimate gripes/concerns, but none should be directed at K&D in my opinion....

I also have not seen anything swayed by the paid advertising.... I was actually kinda wondering why they would, I mean everyone already knows the link to theirs, and many other holster makers on the board....

also, just thought I'd add, I have no control over the ads, costs or admin over there, just trying to keep the peace, and some times do some "thinning of the herd".

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Ln1: As a person with an interest in or a relationship to a vendor of accessory products for the guns we cherish here, it would behoove you to identify yourself as such when raising this type of issue in the interest of fair play.

DDGator: We did start this up with our own money and are prepared to continue funding it. However, we do not refuse donations from people who feel it's a worthwhile investment. That said, all the donation gets you is a special ranking and a little row of red stars if you want them. You've seen a few of them around, and we're grateful that they feel taking some of the burden off us is a worthy cause.

Yzguy: While it seems as if my responses are directed at K & D, I assure you they are not. I'm simply drawing a major distinction between what KTOG has done and what we will never do.

At no time will product placement EVER be bought on this board.

We encourage vendors to sell whatever they want (within legal limits, of course) at no charge to them, and urge our members and guests to buy what they like.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Midi,

LN1 did not mean to mislead anyone -- I think he assumes all the regulars know who he is. For those who don't -- he is the leathercrafter who makes all the K&D Holsters products. He is the talent in our duo!

I understand your position on paid advertising. I don't think its inherently evil. The moderators control whether advertising is a problem by their response. If moderators treat advertisers differently, you create a biased discussion. Paid advertising is found on lots of respected boards, such as Glock Talk. Nonetheless, this is your board and you make the rules and I am not questioning your decision. Keep up the good work and thanks again.

Duane
[email protected]

I think this thread has probably seen the end of its useful discussion. :lol:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Hey guys,
I think there's a bit of mis-understanding here...
Those of us who've asked to help contribute have been told, basically, to buzz off, in the past.
We've WANTED to help, and being rejected isn't a wonderful feeling, especially when your intentions are only for the best. I was the most prolific poster at Ktog; why shouldn't I contribute to it's upkeep? But, it wasn't wanted.
A little confusion is in order here, it seems like.
Flyer

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Re:

DDGator said:
I understand your position on paid advertising. I don't think its inherently evil. If moderators treat advertisers differently, you create a biased discussion.
That's my main concern. I don't see how KTOG can make any claims to an unbiased position where this is concerned and I want to insure that it never happens here. Paid advertising has its place, but it throws the whole bias issue straight up the flagpole. Example: I never read gun magazines... because their reviews are all suspect. They rely on an advertiser's revenue and, generally, will never take a chance on ticking one off badly enough to cut off the flow of the advertising money.

·
Registered
205 Posts
actually there is a bit of a difference between gun mags and a BB system...

while it is true I have heard of advertisers making a difference in on a board I don't see it happening at KTOG. What I am talking about is, if an company advertises on the board, and someone posts negitive about it, the post gets locked or delted because of the advertisers... This I can see magazines doing quite frequently... (they don't talk bad about the companies that are paying the bills)

but the mods or admins of BB systems, DON'T write all the posts, and I have yet to see an admin or mod lock/modify/delete or otherwise influence any post regarding any advertisers product. I would not allow that to happen, and if it becomes out of my hands, I will leave KTOG....

The Admin over there (which I will remind everyone that is the ONLY person involved in any $$ as well as any adminstration actions) does not even post, so if he is not posting, or adding to any threads what so ever, how can that have any affect on content??

I mean I have seen how it could happen, and totaly understand the reasoning here, but also do believe it is possible for a board to remain unbiased even with advertising.

The members control the content, not the admins or mods....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.