Kel-Tec Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably a dumb question...
i know glock makes 2 .380 cal. pistols not for sale in the U.S. NOW..if you were to get one somehow, is it illegal to own since it was probably brought into the country illegally? is there a way to bring them in the country legally? ive looked on the online gun auctions, havent found any, i was just curious. im not looking to get one, just curious.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Actually, they are available in the US market -- for law enforcement....according to Glock's literature.

I don't think it would be illegal to buy/own one -- if, let's say an officer/department parted with it.

I think the primary reason it was not introduced into the US market -- is that for the same size and dimensions, you can have a 9mm. Primarily, it was intended for countries that do not allow their citizens to own a firearm chambered in a military cartridge....the same reason you see variants in 9x21mm

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i really dont want one. i was just curious, got bored and started thinking about it. not that i would turn one down if for some reason i was offered one for 150 bucks. but that will never happen.

·
Registered
345 Posts
One answer as to why someone might want a Glock .380 is a matter of "recoil". I know many new shooters, elderly and women are recoil sensitive. A .380 kicks a darn sight less than a 9mm Luger; at least the KT P11 with a .380 barrel is sweet. With all the accessories etc for the Glocks, I'd think a .380 in a Glock 26/27 size package would be a decent seller.

One problem with selling them in the US though might be a Glock 26 magazine will probably hold 11 rounds of .380 just like the KelTec P11 mags do. Contrary to popular belief the 2 cartridges are not the same diameter. The .380 case is .374" tapering to .373" at the case mouth and the 9mm Luger is .394" at the base and tapers to .380" at the case mouth. With the double stack magazines that difference is amplified.

Selling a handgun to non-LEO in the US with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is a no-no, at least until the end of September...

Allan

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Nope...
The P-11 is in .380 sold overseas, I believe, in countries that don't allow citizens to own guns in military calibers, i.e., 9mm, .45, 9mm Mak, etc..
That's the same reason Glock sells the G-25.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Something about BATF import points??

·
Registered
236 Posts
I saw some .380 G25 and G28 mags at a gun show in Atlanta. Man, they are odd. They have ridges on the back of the mag to make them work with the shorter .380 cartridge.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Glock 25 and 28 are restricted from import because their blow back operation and .380 chambering do not earn them enough points, according to BATF's scale.

The Points Systems of GCA '68
Factoring Criteria for Weapons Qualifying score is 75 points

Note: The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms reserves the right to preclude importation of any revolver or pistol which achieves an apparent qualifying score but does not adhere to the provisions of section 925(d)(3) of Amended Chapter 44, Title 18, USC.

PISTOL
Prerequisites
1. The pistol must have a positive manually operated safety device.
2. The combined length and height must not be less than 10" with the height (right angle measurement to barrel without magazine or extension) being at least 4" and the length being at least 6".

Individual Characteristics Point value

Overall Length
For each 1/4" over 6" - 1
Frame Construction
Investment cast or forged steel - 15
Investment cast or forged HTS alloy - 20

Weapon Weight w/Magazine (unloaded)
Per ounce - 1

Caliber
.22 short and .25 auto - 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto - 3
9mm parabellum and over - 10

Safety Features
Locked breech mechanism - 5
Loaded Chamber Indicator - 5
Grip Safety - 3
Magazine Safety - 5
Firing Pin Block or Lock - 10

Miscellaneous Equipment
External Hammer - 2
Double Action - 10
Drift Adjustable Target Sight - 5
Click Adjustable Target Sight - 10
Target Grips - 5
Target Trigger - 2

Qualifying score is 75 points

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hmmm... restricted from import by BATFE. I wonder if Glock could just setup a manufacturing facility here in the U.S. and manufacture the 25 and 28 here. With Glock's legendary reliability I bet you'd have lots of women shooters snapping up the 25. I've never heard of the 28 before... what caliber is it?

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
The 25 is the size of a G-19, the 28 the size of a G-27, or "Baby" Glock.
Both are .380.
Flyer

G

·
I didn't think that they were banned by BATF as much as it was Glock's decision not to import them into the US. As I understood it from a Glock rep, they only made and sold them overseas becasue there were so many countries where it illegal to possess 9mm ammo and the weapons that shoot them. In some countries the 9mm is considered a Military Round/Ammo and is therefore illegal. Glock decided for that reason to only offer the .380 Glocks overseas. Flyer is right, they are the same size and capacity as the 19 and 26 so you are actually better off with the 9mm version. This info is a few years old so some things could have changed. Eventhough I would not want one, I would still like to see one....just to say that I had...I shot the Glock 18 one time and what a hoot. It is very fast and very difficult to control.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If one of the moderators wants to move a discussion about a 380acp P-11 to another thread, then I haven't got a problem with that, but I really, Really, REALLY want to know more about it. Is it available to US citizens? Is it still a locked breach psitol? If so, I would assume that the recoil would be down right pleasant. Also would the magazine hold the same number of rounds?

I gotta know, I gotta know, I gotta know, I gotta know, I gotta know . . . :shock:

·
Banned
5,800 Posts
Both the .380 Glock are blowbacks, with the same mag capacity as the 9mm versions... 15 for the 25, ten for the 28.
I believe they're only available to Leo agencies.
Flyer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The Glock 28 as pictured below is available to LEOs in the US. The Glock 25 is not available to the US market-- according to Glock's literature.

G

·
I am not sure why anyone would want a .380 when they can have a 9mm or for that matter a 40 in the exact same size package.....unless maybe it is a recoil thing..

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
because im a weenie, thats why!
besides, i already have a 9mm...need more guns...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts